New tortie owner..... a little help please, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickengal

5 Year Member
Hello. A little info first, this weekend my bro-in-law brought me, as a surprise, two:tort::tort:[/size][/font], year old African Spur tortoises. He has known Ive wanted to get them, I just didnt expect to get them so soon!
They seem wonderfully active and happy. I have them in a 20 gal aquarium on a mixture of sand and top soil, with a lamp on them, on one end only and there eating spring mix (no spinach) and something I got at the pet shop for torts, high fiber low protien, nugget type of things I wet down.
I have a few questions if you dont mind:
1, Are they the same as a Sulcuta tortoises, is it just another name for them?
2, Ive read humidity is bad for them, I live in Florida and Im keeping them in the garage (no cars go in there so no fumes) keeping them inside isnt an option. Do I need to keep a heat lamp on them - its aprox 90 degrees in there, or vf.vvvc ionly when it gets cooler?
3, Should I be reguarly soaking them, should I have water in there enclosure to wade in?
Thankyou in advance for your help :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. yes that is just another name for Sulcata.
2. Humidity is very good for them, it helps with shell development. Living in Florida is a great thing with all the humidity.
3. Yes you can soak them on a daily basis if you want and it's best to keep a water source available to them so they can drink if they choose to.

That 20 gallon aquarium is too small for them, they need more space than that.. Can you build them a bigger tortoise enclosure?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) Can you post a pic of them a 20 g seems small for two yearlings

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chickengal:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

chickengal

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your welcomes and info, much appreciated. :D
I'll take some pics of my two tortoises in there home tommorowand post them and maybe you can let me know if I need to upgrade (I said its a 20 gal tank, Im only guessing, maybe its bigger) Thanks again, so glad I found this forum!! :) Oh, my names Rachel and I live on the west coast of Florida!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you build a place for them outside? they wil need it to thrive.
I dont like live animals as gifts.. but it sounds like you are prepared and willing to learn..
do you have a large yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.