New to Torts

Acorn87

Hello! Yesterday after many years of pining, I acquired my first little tortoise! He/She is a Hermann's tort, hatched in August. I look forward to learning more and more, as I have spent many hours researching and cross referencing sources. So a very long drive, and a much smaller bank account later, here is my new family member!

We named this tort Atlas and in this pic He/She just woke up from a nap.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 22

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Congratulations and welcome!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to you and your gorgeous little tort.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the care sheet. Whereabouts do you live and what's the weather like back there? Make sure your tort is kept warm and humid.

Any pics of his/her enclosure?

Acorn87

Thanks I actually read the Beginners Mistakes a few days before joining! I live in Ontario, Canada and the weather outside is not favorable but with indoor heating and the lights off in Atlas' enclosure the heat sits around 70 degrees. Atlas is currently in a temporary enclosure as my boyfriend is building me a lovely tortoise table. I had a moment of new tortoise caregiver panic earlier as Atlas had burried him/her self under the substrate under a log. Atlas is eating very well already, some dandelion flowers and clover, and dandelion leaves (sprinkled with repashy calcium and d3). While both are readily available, I'm looking into a seed mixture to start growing food. I suppose it's time I develop that green thumb I always wished I had lol!

Warm temps are at 90, cool temps are at 70, and humidity is at 45

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Atlas you pretty tort, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)

Acorn87

Atlas is setting in very well I must say! He/She is very active, eating well, drinking well, loves basking and burrowing. I admit I was a little nervous at first because I really wanted everything to be perfect for Atlas and read a lot of beginner issues with babies and illnesses so I've been watching him very closely and researching every little movement Atlas makes to make sure everything is normal and that he/she is healthy. I couldn't be happier with the way things are going. :D