New to Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

LynnR

5 Year Member
Hello, All,

I'm new to tortoises, in fact I've signed on to find out which tortoise is the best for my area of the country. I live in the deep South, in the USA and we have mega high humidity. I really like the leopard tortoises, they're my favorite. :eek:) BUT I'm open to suggestion.
Thanks for any advise!

LynnR

5 Year Member
I live right outside of Charlotte, NC. <G> Thanks for the welcome. I've always wanted a tortoise, but while I've kept snakes and lizards for years, I've always wanted a tortoise. We run across box turtles on our property fairly often but I leave the wild ones in the wild. We have a great 'garden yard' for a tortoise to 'roam' around in. (Supervised, of course.) But as I've said, I have no idea what kind of tortoise would thrive here. Any suggestions anyone?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Welcome, I am 2yrs new to torts you never stop learning about these beautiful creatures. I love Leopards to and would love a couple someday. How much room do you have for your future tort?? That will play a big part in the one that is right for you. Your climate is good we are finding out that humidity is good for torts. You will find good info here and you will love it. Are you going to check out different rescues for your tort? When I am ready for another that is my plan.

LynnR

5 Year Member
Well, our garden yard is probably 50' by 50' so I can pretty much house whatever I'd want. I don't know of any rescues around here but I haven't had an opportunity to check either. :eek:)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You lucky!

I hate humidity and would never voluntarily move back to the South due to that climate, BUT in terms of tortoise keeping, you have struck gold! You could even keep a Sulcata! You could keep multiple tortoises. You could keep turtles. Oh, the choices you have! *SIGH* :rolleyes:

Be forewarned, though, that "one" tortoise is probably an unreal expectation...you're likely to fall in love with the creatures and end up like egyptiandan, or N2TORTS, or Redfoot Nerd, or GBTortoises, or the other 90% of the keepers on this forum with tortoise "collections." :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoots love humidity, don't get too big, and are beautiful ....maybe cause I have one. Welcome!

LynnR

5 Year Member
Hmmmmmmmmm, so I'm actually in a good area for tortoises. That
makes me feel better, I thought I was gonna have to do something really elaborate to have a tortoise. <G>
Ya know, I've traveled a LOT in my time. I've been as far North as CT, as far South as FL, out to AZ and a lot of places in between, but NC is one of the few places that you can go to the mountains or the beach and it's not such a trip that you never wanna do it again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lynn:

Welcome to the forum!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Lynn welcome to the forum...I was a truck driver so I have been where you are. Beautiful country but too much humidity for me, great for tortoises tho. I think your area is too small for a Sulcata but it would be great for a Leopard...you live very close to the motherland...Kannapolis. Do you ever go to the race track? Are you interested in NASCAR at all?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hi! It is beautiful in that area, but then I think every place is special in it's own way. :cool: Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.