New to tortoises - Diet... how am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I have two yearling russians (as of 2 weeks ago) and I'm trying to give them a varied but balanced nutritious diet. I've been using the Trader Joe's Spring Mix with some hibiscus petals and jade thrown in. I've asked a friend to bring me some things from her yard when available (mainly grape leaves and dandelions) but I haven't received those yet. I'm also using powdered calcium w/D3 with which I've been trying multiple delivery methods (sprinkling and leaving out seperately for as needed consumption). I'm also soaking a couple times a week but they do get into their water on their own to drink as well. Feeding occurs most days for 20-30 minutes.

Does this sound like I'm covering all the nutritional bases? Should I add an additional component?

Thanks!

Patrick

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
pdelpizzo said:
I have two yearling russians (as of 2 weeks ago) and I'm trying to give them a varied but balanced nutritious diet. I've been using the Trader Joe's Spring Mix with some hibiscus petals and jade thrown in. I've asked a friend to bring me some things from her yard when available (mainly grape leaves and dandelions) but I haven't received those yet. I'm also using powdered calcium w/D3 with which I've been trying multiple delivery methods (sprinkling and leaving out seperately for as needed consumption). I'm also soaking a couple times a week but they do get into their water on their own to drink as well. Feeding occurs most days for 20-30 minutes.

Does this sound like I'm covering all the nutritional bases? Should I add an additional component?

Thanks!

Patrick

FYI... the spring mix is basically a mix of baby red and green lettuces and radicchio with no spinach.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

It would be good if you could add a few extras to the Spring Mix. Either something home grown (mulberry, grape leaves) or something store bought like turnip greens, dandelion greens, collard greens. But it sounds like you've got a good start going on.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In the supermarkets, Ready Pac packages SANTA BARBARA mix...all endive, escarole and radicchio...this is the best mix you can give your tort...no lettuces at all. As for the rest, sounds like you're doing great...

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Thanks for the advice! My friend gave me a bag of grape leaves and broccoli leaves today. I've read that broccoli is bad but broccoli rabe leaves are good. Are all broccoli leaves good? I don't know what kind I have. I'm also going to pick up some opuntia cactus to add to my mix.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.