new to Tortoise Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pace99

5 Year Member
I am new to this site. I have a large amount of Hermann tortoises, including some that have been in our family for over 40 years to hatchlings. I am needing ( not necessarily wanting) to downsize, but for the life of me cannot figure out if it is legal to sell Hermann Tortoises here in California. I know it is illegal to import etc. My vet said I could post a flyer there, and perhaps I could elsewhere. I am NOT interested in shipping them, too afraid that something might happen to them. If anyone has any information along this topic line, I would be very appreciative.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi pace99:

Yes its perfectly legal to sell your Hermann's tortoises here in California. Where are you located? And may we know your name?

Welcome to the forum!!

pace99

5 Year Member
Hi, I my name is Jana. I live in the High Desert about 50 miles from Los Angeles. I am actually a little desperate to find homes for my little sweethearts. It is going to be hard though. I also have some juveniles. Males and females. My tortoises have all hibernated, including the hatchlings, and have always done well.

emysemys said:
Hi pace99:

Yes its perfectly legal to sell your Hermann's tortoises here in California. Where are you located? And may we know your name?

Welcome to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jana:

We have many, many southern Calif. members and I'll bet some of them would be willing to drive to the High Desert for a tortoise. Please put up an ad in our "for sale" section. Be sure to put all the pertinent info in the ad, because we delete any responses you get on the thread in order to keep the for sale clean. We encourage folks to contact you via email or PM.

Seems to me that one of our more popular members, Tom, has expressed an interest in getting some Hermanns tortoises. He would make an excellent home for your "babies."

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Gosh, you do have a bunch of them! Welcome, just sorry it's under what sounds like a bad time for you. *hugs* Very impressed with you having had them for so long and did well with them obviously.

pace99

5 Year Member
Thanks for the hugs. It is hard to try to find homes, but as you can see, I have too many, actually those are older pictures. I believe ( think I lost count), that I have about 20 babies that were hatched last year. Most we found last year at hatching, but we found two just strolling along this spring in the yard ( planters). We hibernate all of our turtles and tortoises. Funny, it seems most of the nests we were following never produced any hatchings, or just one or two, but all the ones we did not know about did!

I also have box turtles.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome!

Too bad I don't live closer, would love to provide a home for some Hermann's.

I'm sure you'll find some willing rehomers here.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find great homes for all your torts..

Status
Not open for further replies.