New to tortoise forum. Tortoise table HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica and Elvis

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I have a tortoise table for my sulcata, Elvis, and he is 4 months old. He seems to be doing fine, but his 2 brothers are twice the size of him but live in a tank where the temperature is around 80-90*F. Elvis is 86 grams, and his 2 brothers are 130 grams. They practically doubled their weight in less than 2 months. Elvis has a height lamp too but i don't have the table enclosed. The pet store looked at Elvis and said he had no flaking of the shell, no soft shell, and no cloudy eyes. They told me he looked really good. Do i need to trap the heat into my tortoise table? Or is that not good for him?

P.S. that is not his shell, that is a shelter for him lol

Attachments

• tortoise table.jpg
    tortoise table.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jessica!

Heat and moisture both play a big part in the growth of baby sulcatas. Please go to the Forum page, click on the Sulcata section and read the "important threads" at the top of the section. You will find good info there on how to raise your baby sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Your observations mirror mine. The more closed in the enclosure the faster they grow and the better they seem to do. I used to use open topped enclosures and fight the whole heat and humidity thing. Now I use only closed chambers and have a much easier time maintaining perfect conditions, and a much lower electric bill.

Here's a thread on it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I dont have sulcatas myself but wanted to stop by and say hello and welcome to tfo!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You could make a tent over it out of PCV pipe and plastic sheeting, but I would just scrap it and make or buy a closed chamber.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :) Tom is right, covering the top is the best way to control heat and humidity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.