new to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hey guys! im thinking about getting a tortoise in a month or so but cant decide between a russian, hermans, or greek. can anyone tell me which has the best and most personable temperment?

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I bought my herman about a month ago now, and i have really enjoyed her as a pet, she is easy enough to look after, and responsed to me by walking over. She is very cute and has no temperment at all.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

I have Hermy (Hermann tortoise) since 3 months and she is really adorable and like Rosiee tortoise, has no temperament at all.

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Cali, I have Greeks, 2.1.4.2 of them. Hoping to get more females soon. I find them very persinable once they get to know you or that you mean treats and food. All three you listed are good starter torts. I have also fostered RTs. My suggestion is that you do lots of research on the three you are looking at. Learn all you can. Set up their enclosure and have things ready before you get your new shelled friend. Good luck Keep us posted and again Welcome.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D All of the three are very fine and very personable tortoises. I don't think anybody can say this or that one has a better temperament. A lot of it depends upon the individual tortoise, how you have it's setup, how much you time you put into the tort, even often if it's wild caught or captive born and it's age. A huge amount is also what your looking for from this animal and your personality.

Of the three you mentioned I have Russians. Each of them have there own special personality and overall they have all been very personable and friendly. To tell you the truth the first time I saw these torts, I didn't like them at all. Then one day in a Petco, I saw this old male and he just had the greatest face. I fell for him that day and have not regretted it since. Now I have more Russians then any other type of tortoise.

Like Crazy said, keep researching. I also suggest if you can find folks in the area who may have some of these animals to go and see in person what they look like, act like, ect..,.

Are things like local availability or price going to matter to you? Those are other things to look into.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks guys for your help! i have done a ton of research on all 3 and their care all seems pretty similar. i was leaning towards a golden greek for a while then i heard that they arnt as personable as russians. everyone has said russians are great torts full of personality. also, which would do better indoors? i will probably be keeping it indoors for the first year since ill be getting a hatchling, then next summer move him to an outdoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.