New to the forum

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hi

You are going to have to get a closed system enclosure or adapt the open table you have into a closed system. You can’t keep an ambient temperature and a good humidity level in an open table within a room in your house. The only area that is warm enough for your baby is right under that basking light. This will cause your baby to grow in a dry state and pyramid.

Sooooo.....
Ideally get a vivarium.
Put a uvb tube light right to one end over the feeding area. This will create a dark end and a light end. I put moist spagnhum moss in the dark end for them to hide in.
Use a CHE for a heat source to create an ambient temperature throughout the enclosure. No intense basking spots with a baby. When he’s about 2yrs old he will naturally bask when outside. But until about that age he will just hide. Mine don’t see the outdoors for first 2 yrs.
Make sure he has access to a water dish 24/7 in the enclosure. Can use a small terracotta dish that is big enough for him to sit in.
Aim for an ambient temp of 82/86f and humidity level of about 90%.

There are many debates about soaking baby tortoises. Some breeders do it and some do not. My advice for you is to soak your baby at least every other day until it’s 3 month old. Soaking him will keep him hydrated and give you piece of mind that he’s not growing dry.
If you see him sat soaking on his own accord then don’t bother that day.

This is my latest set up. It’s 4x8ft. You will be ok with a 2x4ft viv.
If I move my babies out of this type of set up too early they start growing bumpy, I think it’s because they get to dry.
I’ve noticed from about 2 yrs old they carry on growing smooth regardless, so at around 2yrs of age you will be able to make a bigger enclosure that is more open with humid places to hide.
View attachment 261770
@Anyfoot I've noticed too that from about 4ish inches 2 years they grow smooth at that point. When I say that on the forum or other groups I get chastised lol. I got my first Redfoot at 350g about 2yr I'm guessing. I've kept him in an open top enclosure the past year i've had him. The humidity in my Reptile room only stays about 50%. He has since gained over 600g and 2 inches in the past year, perfectly smooth. I think there has got to be more factors at play for pyramiding than just humidity?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot I've noticed too that from about 4ish inches 2 years they grow smooth at that point. When I say that on the forum or other groups I get chastised lol. I got my first Redfoot at 350g about 2yr I'm guessing. I've kept him in an open top enclosure the past year i've had him. The humidity in my Reptile room only stays about 50%. He has since gained over 600g and 2 inches in the past year, perfectly smooth. I think there has got to be more factors at play for pyramiding than just humidity?
I think once they are a certain stage of development (not size) they are a lot harder and carry on growing in the same plane within reason. The bone structure is thicker and stronger and the elements of the great outdoors does not have as much of an impact. For example, you let a baby bask in a dry climate it will pyramid. You let a smooth 5yr old bask in a dry climate it won’t all of s sudden start to pyramid. Growth rings change, but not the overall shape of the carapace.
You’ve never seen a 4” WC redfoot pyramid.
Have a look at some long term WC adults. The captive growth is obvious , but not pyramided. It’s been taken out of the ideal climate and put into a less than ideal climate, in some cases a dry captive climate. The new growth is not pyramided. Raise a hatchling in that same dry captive climate it will pyramid 100%.