new to forum and proud caregiver of a russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeylu

5 Year Member
Hello there, my name is lauren and I currently live near Atlanta, GA. Last year, I tool my husband to pick out a tortoise for his birthday. He fell in love with a Russian and he named him Larry. (I think he looks more like a Lawrence Wobblestone but it wasn't my decision) Anyway, we've had him coming up on a year now but its hard to say how old he is. We got him at a reptile pet store in Asheville, NC and it didn't take long to realize the kid who sold him to us didn't know crap about him or the species. He told us he was about 5 months old, would live to be over 100 years old and would grow to the size of a spare car tire. He was roughly 4.5 inches long that day and we learned that he is no 5 month old Russian. Regardless, we love him and spoil him rotten.
I noticed something recently though that concerns me. After not seeing him for a few months while I was dealing with family issues out-of-state, I noticed his front arms aren't as big and bulbous as b4. They look thin and wavy/rippled instead of plump. Kind of like an old person on The Simpson's. Wrinkles where the large scales are. Can anyone please tell me if this is normal or if he is becoming thin and sickly? I am asking for a Sulcata next month for my birthday since we are moving to a large piece of land...and they are my favorite lil monsters.
Plus any other tips for both species. We are wanting to learn all we can so to one day turn out land into a tortoise sanctuary.
Thanks and I look forward to this forum.
Lauren, Lawrence and Dylan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Lauren!

What do you feed your Russian tortoise? Maybe he's losing weight because of his diet???

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i have a sulcata so don't have a clue about russians but hello and welcome! some pics of his front legs might be helpful?

monkeylu

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Welcome to the Forum, Lauren!

What do you feed your Russian tortoise? Maybe he's losing weight because of his diet???
I have him eating kale now with a few berries to find mixed in. I use calcium powder a couple times a week but the jerk hates it so he won't each as much those days. It's been suggested he may have parasites which freaks me out. The guy who sold him to us lied about his age and its been recently implied he may have been caught in the wild and sold under false pretence. I will get pics up soon. My phone camera blew up when I dropped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.