Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Hello. I have been lurking a while and this seems to have such a great knowledgeable group of folks to traverse with!
I have lots of questions and have ben reading so much lately, my eyes are crossing. I am a lifelong turtle and tortoise lover, but it has taken me over 50 years to make the leap of actually obtaining one.
I have owned two redfoots for two years now. Told they were incubated for females, I named them Porche and Lexus.
Just recently decided I was ready for an Indian Star. I have had my new beautiful boy only a few days.
My redfoots have been living indoors, and I am afraid we have some pyramiding. So am in the process of making an outdoor enclosure for them. I am not making anything too permanent as we have a move to FL in the next year or so.
I look forward to enjoying the company of other tort keepers here, and learning lots.

Ann from CT

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ann, and welcome to the Forum!

The pyramiding isn't because the tortoises were kept indoors, it's from not enough moisture in the habitat. Have you read the articles in the Tortoise Library

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: New to forum, 2 year tortoise keeper

Yvonne G said:
Hi Ann, and welcome to the Forum!

The pyramiding isn't because the tortoises were kept indoors, it's from not enough moisture in the habitat. Have you read the articles in the Tortoise Library

I have read everything I can get my hands on. Except I have not bought books on the specific species. Maybe I should. I keep the substrate mostly soaked except for slightly dryer area at one end. And even that is not too dry. They are soaked regularly.
Let me see if I can figure attachments out.

Ann from CT

Attachments

• 1374192112780.jpg
    1374192112780.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...your redfoots look pretty good. Slight pyramiding. But the humidity isnt the only thing that causes the pyramiding anyway. It is also diet, exercise, hydration(which you said you already soak) and natural sunlight. My question would be what kind and how much protein are you feeding? That will cause it also...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your torts are looking good . Feed more grass and weeds.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: New to forum, 2 year tortoise keeper

mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...your redfoots look pretty good. Slight pyramiding. But the humidity isnt the only thing that causes the pyramiding anyway. It is also diet, exercise, hydration(which you said you already soak) and natural sunlight. My question would be what kind and how much protein are you feeding? That will cause it also...

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
My redfoots have been living at my grooming shop which is relatively humid. They are in a 20x38" plastic bin on a table near a glass door. They have a power sun and then a black night heat bulb in winter.
I feed a small protein meal every 3 or four weeks. I have fed boiled eggs, meats, and shrimp. Mostly they get greens and occasional fruits.
They are the same age, hatched within a month of each other. One has a higher dome and has the most pyramiding. The other is bigger and heavier, and has only just started to pyramid. It is more noticable in person. Plus she has more defined ridges in the individual scutes.
They have not had natural sun. I have been a little afraid, up til now, to make an outdoor pen. They still seem so little to be out. I am making a covered outdoor pen in my yard. I think I will be nervous to leave them out. But I am thinking this may be part of the problem. Not enough natural sun.

Ann from CT

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
An outdoor enclosure is the best. But you will see them hide from the sun . Only one of my reds will set in the sun .The other two hide from it like vampires. But they love the rain . Get you some seed mixes from Carolina pet supply so they can run around outside and graze. They really do look good your doing a good job taking care of them.
WELCOME TO TFO!!!!!
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.