New Sulcata Tortoise Mom, New To Texas

Kmelendez

Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Heights
Hello! My name is Kierstin and I just moved to Glenn Heights Texas with my Sulcata Tortoise from Arizona. I could use all the help I can get for caring for my baby properly as I rescued him. I did some research but just recently found out that dirt is not proper bedding.. Oops.. Anyways any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
W
Hello! My name is Kierstin and I just moved to Glenn Heights Texas with my Sulcata Tortoise from Arizona. I could use all the help I can get for caring for my baby properly as I rescued him. I did some research but just recently found out that dirt is not proper bedding.. Oops.. Anyways any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
welcome, the experts will want photos of your enclosure, the tort and your heating and lighting in order to give you the proper advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! i'm moving your thread to the Sulcata aection so more of our Sulcata-keepers will see it and respond.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and welcome from one Texan to another.. How old is your baby?

Kmelendez

Glenn Heights
W

welcome, the experts will want photos of your enclosure, the tort and your heating and lighting in order to give you the proper advice
Thank you I will be uploading soon. I do need to get a bigger water dish and add another for sure.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
In all honesty I am not sure how hold he is
Well that’s ok... How big is he then? ( size makes a difference in the enclosure you need of course) you don’t need all the baby advice if you already have a 12lb or bigger Sulcata..

Kmelendez

Glenn Heights
Well that’s ok... How big is he then? ( size makes a difference in the enclosure you need of course) you don’t need all the baby advice if you already have a 12lb or bigger Sulcata..

Attachments

• GOKU.jpg
    GOKU.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well it doesn’t look like a baby and your going to have many people tell you that this is all wrong. He’s already showing significant pyramiding due to his environment. He needs an enclosed environment that’s a good bit larger with lots of humidity.. temps have to remain steady with the high humidity and he will need a safe saucer of water large enough for him to climb into along with a slate or flat rock for him to eat off of.. . Let me see if I can link a thread for you..

Kmelendez

Glenn Heights
Well it doesn’t look like a baby and your going to have many people tell you that this is all wrong. He’s already showing significant pyramiding due to his environment. He needs an enclosed environment that’s a good bit larger with lots of humidity.. temps have to remain steady with the high humidity and he will need a safe saucer of water large enough for him to climb into along with a slate or flat rock for him to eat off of.. . Let me see if I can link a thread for you..

He was in bad shape when we rescued him. His shell was soft and he was just in bad shape. He had a bigger dish but he keeps cracking them some how. I do have a bigger saucer for him that i can put in there. The lady who had him before me left him in a plastic container with no type of bedding and a super small dish with his sibling. Sadly i was unable to get his sibling and he did not make it. I do know my turtle is a male so not sure if that matters with age or not