New sulcata owner !!

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Hey guys I just purchased a sulcata tortoise only a couple months old (picture attached) . Right now I have him in a 40 gallon breeder tank with a 75 watt heating lamp and 20 watt uvb (picture attached) . I just ha a couple questions regarding his care . Being in Philadelphia , it's hard finding the right grasses and also it's hard exposing him to the right amount of sunlight with the cold winters we have here . I've been feeding him oat grass , bok choy , and collared greens , along w bits of romaine here and there . Any suggestions about different nutrients or vitamins I could get to him or foods ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks ,
Anthony

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383669509.174455.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383670885.977672.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Here is a diet sheet for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html

I see a few potential problems in your set up:
1. Is your UV bulb a coil type? Those can damage tortoise eyes and I recommend against them. The pet store will tell you that is an old problem and it has been fixed. It hasn't. I suggest using a tube style florescent or a mercury vapor bulb for your winter UV need. Or both. The screen top will also filter out most of your UV so you will have to work out the best way to eliminate that for your situation.

2. I see no night heat. They need to be kept no lower than 80 all the time. Day and night. A ceramic heating element on a thermostat is a good way to accomplish this.

3. Your baby needs a proper humid hide. The half log is fine for hiding out, but it won't hold enough humidity to do what needs to be done.

4. The open top will let all of your heat and humidity escape. Closing as much as you can will help hold in warmth and humidity.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Welcome! Please follow Tom's suggestions for growing a happy healthy smooth sulcata ;)

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/AfricanGrazerMix I'm growing this right now. I tapped PVC pipe into the substrate and planted the seeds in them going around the edge of the enclosure that way the seeds can grow and the Sully can eat the sprouts but not dig up the seeds. I have a tank similar to yours and I cut a hole in the screen for my tube UVB and put in the UVA bulb inside the actual enclosure and it has a standard dimmer on it. The kinda weird part to hold in the humidity I took Press and Seal like for left over food and covered the majority of the screened lid. I also put a mister in that goes off once an hour. She has temp probs on the cool end, the middle, inside her humid hide, and under her basking area. Her overall temp is roughly 86 and her basking spot is 100.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
For an easy and useful humid hide, I went to target and got a plastic 1$ shoe box (in the area where they keep the storage bins). I buried it 3 inches deep and covered the top with the substrate all around. It stayed warm inside, super humid, and gave my Dexter the smooth shell now. I kept the substrate on top of the box warm and damp, no soaked, by spraying it and the substrate 4-6 times daily

DWB

5 Year Member
Hello and congratulations Tony! You have found the fountain of knowledge in this forum, now start reading, it's all here!

I also have a hatchling Sulcata that is about the same age.

If you would like, you could tell us your story on the "Introductions" forum, it's kind of fun, and we will all appreciate being involved in learning how you found your way to tortoises and this page.

Your tort looks larger than mine, he's looks to be off to a great start. Dave

Maiasmom said:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/AfricanGrazerMix I'm growing this right now. I tapped PVC pipe into the substrate and planted the seeds in them going around the edge of the enclosure that way the seeds can grow and the Sully can eat the sprouts but not dig up the seeds. I have a tank similar to yours and I cut a hole in the screen for my tube UVB and put in the UVA bulb inside the actual enclosure and it has a standard dimmer on it. The kinda weird part to hold in the humidity I took Press and Seal like for left over food and covered the majority of the screened lid. I also put a mister in that goes off once an hour. She has temp probs on the cool end, the middle, inside her humid hide, and under her basking area. Her overall temp is roughly 86 and her basking spot is 100.

Maiasmom, what an awesome set-up! Have you posted pictures of your habitat? In particular, that PVC seed system and what mister. They both sound too cool.

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Welcome to the forum too! These guys are awesome and incredibly knowledgeable

Yes I will post pictures of everything when I get home :) Tom was after me too to post them lol

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Thanks guys ! I'm excited about it I have a red eared slider but this is my first tortoise . I've tried researching a lot over the internet but I'm glad I found this page because everyone knows so much ! I appreciate all the feedback and I'll be making those changes asap ! Ill definitely put my story on the introduction page since I'm new to the site . All the information is very helpful =)

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
http://http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/monsoon_rs400.php
Here is the mister I have. I originally had it for a rescued green tree python but he's since gone to his new home and I thought this would be perfect for Maia especially since she's 4 weeks old and if she was in the wild it would be the rainy season

I used a small butter bowl as a hide since I have a bazillion of them in my cabinet. I cut an opening and then took a lighter and softened the edges where I could bend them inward with a spoon and tada a hide that she really likes

I like Blake's idea a lot better though with burying it seems to provide a lot more humidity

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] you have picked a great tort

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Thanks AZ ! I was just nervous making sure he has the right set up , he seems comfortable at the moment I just wanna make sure he's perfect ! Everyone on this forums very helpful