New sulcata owner

Dabender93

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Im using a 36 by 24 tank with a 80w powersun by zoo med(12in from tank). im also using echo earth coconut fiber soil that was brick compacted. Any tips or improvements. Im new to owning a sulcata tortoise and want the best for leonardo(the baby tortoise)

Attachments

• 8B4AFDD7-7F85-493C-A36B-B0CF24319430.jpeg
    8B4AFDD7-7F85-493C-A36B-B0CF24319430.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Im using a 36 by 24 tank with a 80w powersun by zoo med(12in from tank). im also using echo earth coconut fiber soil that was brick compacted. Any tips or improvements. Im new to owning a sulcata tortoise and want the best for leonardo(the baby tortoise)
Welcome! First of all, that water bowl is dangerous. Tortoises can flip over and drown, replace it with a terra cotta saucer. The power sun bulb will cause pyramiding get rid of it and replace it with a T5 fluorescent tube for UVB, a CHE for heat, and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Please read this care sheet it will explain all of your questions...

Dabender93

Arizona
Welcome! First of all, that water bowl is dangerous. Tortoises can flip over and drown, replace it with a terra cotta saucer. The power sun bulb will cause pyramiding get rid of it and replace it with a T5 fluorescent tube for UVB, a CHE for heat, and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Please read this care sheet it will explain all of your questions...
Even if the bowl isnt filled all the way? It has a ramp

Dabender93

Arizona
No thank you for the info :D i feel like a new dad so I want what best for him. I fear so much. Oh i also should mention I live in AZ and my house az is at 75 lowest(currently 78) till i replace that light bulb for the one and get another another hang lamp. I use a thermal gun( aim the dot a few place some times his shell when i see him lang still for long) im gets 92 hights on his shell when he is under lamp on the rock(prettified wood)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The water bowl has vertical, high sides. To try to reach the water, or to get out of the bowl, the baby stands on his back legs. But he doesn't bend in the middle, so has to see-saw to try to get in. If his feet slide while he is standing, he easily lands upside down. In the water or out of it, upside down can be deadly.

I hope this helps you understand why we say no to those.

Dabender93

Arizona
The water bowl has vertical, high sides. To try to reach the water, or to get out of the bowl, the baby stands on his back legs. But he doesn't bend in the middle, so has to see-saw to try to get in. If his feet slide while he is standing, he easily lands upside down. In the water or out of it, upside down can be deadly.

I hope this helps you understand why we say no to those.
Just got this whole out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2