New Sulcata Owner in North Carolina

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hi guys :) my name is Lindsey and I'm new to tortoises. I recently got a 4 week old African Spurred Tortoise named Maia. I'm always looking for new information to make her thrive so please feel free to give me any :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Lindsey and welcome! Aren't little sucatas so cute? What made you decide to add a tortoise to your life?

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I've always loved reptiles, I have a water monitor, nile monitor, a uromastyx, an iguana, pixie frog, and 21 snakles of various species. Sully's caught my attention 2 years ago and I fell in love with their faces and how laid back they are out of all my reptiles I think she is absolutely the cutest and I wanted to take on a new project but my 5 year old daughter fell in love with her also ( we picked her out together) and I know Maia will be a pet I can "hand down" to my daughter and she will be able to have to knowing that through the years we took care of her together and helped her thrive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care for your Sully.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome,Tom can tell you everything you need to know . But always do your own research maybe you will be able to teach us something to .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lindsey, and welcome to the Forum!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Maia welcome to the TFO
We're waiting for you to send us pictures of your home and family
Before you get to busy eating
And Lindsey have a great day
With the children :)

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I think maybe I'm just being an overly paranoid mama but is the little ridge going from her head to the base of her tail on her shell normal it sticks up just slightly

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Totally normal. Don't worry "mama". :)

Looks like you got some good advice already and your set up looks great. Are you keeping it nice and warm day and night?

I would love to see pics of your other animals too. In particular the water monitor. I love that species and in years past have raised several of them myself. I have really been fighting the urge to get another one lately. I have the space and food for one, and when you get a good tame one, they are just the coolest thing ever! We have a lizard section here in the forum in the "Other Pets" sub forum, you know, if you wanted to do a new thread on it or anything... (hint hint...)

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Woo ok great I can stop panicking now lol

Her temp is 86 at night in her enclosure and I have a night bulb in there to simulate it being night time and the basking spot is at 98 and away from that her warm area around it is about 90 and she has a humid hide on the warm side the middle of the enclosure and also the cool side. The humidity is between 80% and 83% she also has a mister that runs across the center of the top that mists once an hour. And I sorta rigged a glass enclosure to hold the humidity and heat by using press and seal and creating a tent shape on the top lol come to find out it creates a short of green house effect so nice warm and humid. Maia is incredibly active going from place to place and of course eating like a pig and she has pooed regularly twice a day in her water dish. I soak her once a day too in warm water for 20 minutes.

I'd love to post pictures of the other guys I have. The Water Monitor (Uncle Fester, yes off the Aadams Family) is about 8 months old but had a lot of improper care so he is slightly stunted and isn't tame at all. But I'm working with him and I'll get him there :) I'll try to get all the pictures up tonight after I'm done with the fire department meeting ImageUploadedByTortForum1383661668.861726.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1383661705.671447.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383661750.728628.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383661847.127043.jpg I had to throw in a picture of one of my horses too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great pics! You didn't mention the BTS in your other post above. Now you'll have to do ANOTHER thread in the lizard section! :p

Its a Northern, right? (I'm no expert, but we have a BTS breeder here that is...) I have one too.

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Aren't they awesome? I love mine,yes it's a northern :) I'll make sure I do a thread on them too