New Sulcata hatchling

Tyler.nofziger

Location (City and/or State)
Grass valley california
Hey guys, I bought a Sulcata hatchling yesterday at the national reptile expo. I know it’s early to post, but when we bought him he was very alert, active, and eating. Now he is tucked in with eyes open which I know is a good sign, but it has no food response and during baths he still won’t untuck. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! You came to the right place for help. Make sure you follow the great advice you will be getting soon, and don't worry about your little one being scared and shy, it's normal as he slowly gets to realise that you are not the enemy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the sulcata care sheet and closed chamber threads and adjust everything that you are not doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys, I bought a Sulcata hatchling yesterday at the national reptile expo. I know it’s early to post, but when we bought him he was very alert, active, and eating. Now he is tucked in with eyes open which I know is a good sign, but it has no food response and during baths he still won’t untuck. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!
Start here and then look for the sulcata care sheet and heating/lighting breakdown at the bottom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's called relocation stress. Give him lots of cover and a good hiding place. Then take him out every a.m. and set him in front of the food. It'll take a few days, but he'll come around.

Tyler.nofziger

Grass valley california
It's called relocation stress. Give him lots of cover and a good hiding place. Then take him out every a.m. and set him in front of the food. It'll take a few days, but he'll come around.
Already did this morning! Sorry for posting so quickly! My other torts have always been so eager to explore and eat when in a new place. Thanks guys!