New Sulcata Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linds

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone. My family and I welcomed 2 baby Sulcatas into our family 2 days ago. We've been preparing and researching for the past 2 months in order to know everything we could before we brought them home. Wow is there a lot of information out there! Some of it's good, some of it's not so good, and some of it's just crazy. I have to say this forum is the best source of information we have found. I feel we are well prepared but it will be helpful to get input and ideas from others. There is always something to learn or something we can do better I'm sure. We are glad to be a part of the group!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) A members great threads on the proper way to raise sully hatchlings is below in my post. They are Toms and they all are great reads and the one on leopards also will apply to Sullies. Also, be on alert for bullying. It's not usually a good idea for two torts to be together.

Linds

5 Year Member
Thanks for the links. I have read a lot of Toms threads and find them to be helpful. We went back and forth on our decision to adopt 2 of them for a couple of reasons, one being bullying. We decided that if it does become a problem we will build another enclosure and keep them seperate. We have a very large yard with lots sun, grass, and tortoise safe flowers. These creatures are amazing and we want them to be happy and healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They really would be better of in their own enclosures. Pairs are always a problem. It's just a question of how bad it will be. The less dominant of your two wishes to be alone right now. The more dominant one wishes the other one would leave his territory. The stress of this situation will have an effect from day one, even if you never see one actually go over and attack the other. That they eat together or share the same sleeping places has nothing to do with this, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.