New substrate help?

tortgirl123

Hey guys need some help with a new substrate. I currently use Repti bark and it really doesn't hold in humidity like I thought it would. Next time I change the substrate out I want to change the substrate... Any suggestions? What works for you?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
There are many good choices out there. Each has its pros and cons.

Coco coir: many people use it. Doesn't mold, keeps humidity high, you can rinse and re-use it, can dig into easily. However, some people find it too messy to work with, gets dragged into water dishes and on food. Also have read that it can stain torts and some torts have difficulty walking on it. To remedy the messiness, you can either pack it down or mix it with top soil.

Cypress mulch: keeps humidity up, less messy. Problems can be the large chunks and tiny slivers, can't bury into it.

Sphagnum moss: pretty good for babies. Retains moisture well, can burrow into easily. You can use this as a top layer for added humidity. However, it does dry out fairly quick and breaks down fast as well.

Use a combination of the things listed if you want. I'm sure I missed some info but I'm sure others will chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you mean that you are trying to add humidity to your enclosure?

Repti-Bark works as well as anything else. Its a function of how much is evaporating out the top, vs. how much water is in the substrate. You can add humidity by adding water to your substrate or partially covering the top of the enclosure to slow down the rate of evaporation. If you just change to a new substrate you will have the same issue.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
whats your humidity at?

coco coir/husk is what i use for my hatchlings... that with a combo of soil... plain good ol dirt!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
how dramatic is the drop? how damped is the substrate? you can poor water on them if you like instead of spraying ^_^ i do this with my dirt and coco husk. just enough that humidity stays up... also i would start considering a closed chamber (covering the top portion of your enclosure)... holds humidity a lot better that opened spaced enclosure...

tortgirl123

I spray a good amount. I'm going to try and pour some water tomorrow instead hopefully that helps. I'm also going to put something on the top. Thanks for the advice!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
just a friendly reminder, when having high humidity make sure your also maintaining the temperature. You don't want your tortoise getting sick. Make sure your night temp doesn't drop below 75 degrees.