Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Jamberry said:
What size totes are you using?

Do you not need UV on both ends? Sorry if that's a dumb question, lol. I'm new to tortoises; none of my current reptiles require UV lighting. I'm trying to get an indoor Russian Tortoise pen set-up a.s.a.p, and you've given me some great ideas.

Do you mist the enclosure?

Last question, heh. How old is that little fellow?

Hello Jamberry, welcome to TFO.

I do have UVB at both ends right now, but just because I had 1 spare UVB bulb (I upgraded from a 5 to a 10). That's not a dumb question at all. In my case, and since it's cold right now, the tort only comes to the cold side to eat. It generaly stays under the spot light or in the vicinity of it.

I do not mist the enclosure, but I do water the plants I have in there, so that boosts the humidity. Russians are not really humidity-needing torts, so you don't need to woory to much about that. just make sure to soak your tort in warm water (at least) once a week. Also, keep a shallow dish with fresh water.

The totes are something like 45cmx30 each I think. So the enclosure is 45x60 more or less (if you want I'll take exact measures).

My hermann's is 7 months old.

Feels free to ask all the questions you want.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Here are updated pics, of what I now have (1/2 top soil 1/2 Aspen)

DSC_9452.jpg

DSC_9454.jpg

DSC_9455.jpg

DSC_9463.jpg

DSC_9456.jpg

DSC_9464.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
TestudoGeek, I love your enclosure. it is simple and to the point. If I was your tort I would feel Like I was walking through a forest of tasty goodies there just for me to sample. Rocks to step on and wipe my feet to keep the aspen out of my watering hole and I believe that is a small container of powdered calcium? I Just love it.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Crazy1 said:
TestudoGeek, I love your enclosure. it is simple and to the point. If I was your tort I would feel Like I was walking through a forest of tasty goodies there just for me to sample. Rocks to step on and wipe my feet to keep the aspen out of my watering hole and I believe that is a small container of powdered calcium? I Just love it.

Thanks Robyn!
Yep, that's powdered calcium (the tort munched on it intensily the first week I put it in there)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Looking through these pics, I certainly dupilcate all that was said.Nice job!! and what an inspiration!!!
The calicum free choise?? I would have never thought to do that. It is recommended for all? I have Russians, A RF, an Ornate box and a Leopard??
Then they could get it as they need it?
Always always stuff to learn, thanks
Na

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Nay said:
Then they could get it as they need it?

That's the general idea. To have it in there so the tort can eat it when needed. Just like with the cuttlefish bone. I just happened to find calcium on the herp store a few month ago and went with this solution, skipping the cuttlefish.

I keep the small container (a water bottle cap) next to his feeding rock (missing in the last picture, since it was removed for cleaning) to promote interest. Torts are inquisitive by nature, I guess, and it took mine a couple of minutes to find it, sniff it and devour it.

Fist week was intense, but now it eats small amounts everyother week.

I'm sure it'll work with your torts to.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
This is very helpful to all of us 'just getting started' to use as a guide.

Thank you!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
And to those who aren't just getting started, but just trying to get it right!!!!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Nay said:
And to those who aren't just getting started, but just trying to get it right!!!!

Testudo Greek, You have inspired me!!
After looking at your new enclosure(and having this snowny day off!) I decided to build my Russians a new pen. I took some 1 X 10's and cut 2 at 48in and 2 at 38 in and nailed them together, Took a piece of plywood cut to fit, nailed on.Took some old pool liner(which was frozen) thawed it out and tried to cut to fit(round doesn't fit too well in square,plus I didn't want to staple it to the bottom and have any leak spots so it's a bit bunchy))
Added peat moss, to what I had leftover unfrozen dirt, sterile pot soil and bark mulch. Still wondering how my temps will be, might have to adjust, but put my Russians in and the female went right over to eat.
Tell me what I am missing for them, it's about time I get it right.Thanksruspen1.jpgruspen2.jpgruspen3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Two things , I relize it's TestudoGeek Sorry, and I put in the same pic twice. Oh well you get the idea.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Nay said:
Nay said:

After looking at your new enclosure(and having this snowny day off!) I decided to build my Russians a new pen. I took some 1 X 10's and cut 2 at 48in and 2 at 38 in and nailed them together, Took a piece of plywood cut to fit, nailed on.Took some old pool liner(which was frozen) thawed it out and tried to cut to fit(round doesn't fit too well in square,plus I didn't want to staple it to the bottom and have any leak spots so it's a bit bunchy))
Added peat moss, to what I had leftover unfrozen dirt, sterile pot soil and bark mulch. Still wondering how my temps will be, might have to adjust, but put my Russians in and the female went right over to eat.
Tell me what I am missing for them, it's about time I get it right.Thanks

Woo Hooo! Way to go:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nay, Congrats on your new pen, sounds like you worked hard today. You have water, food, substrate, a hide, lamps, Plants and it looks like, is that a stool for you (Hehe). Looks good to me. What type of plant is that? It looks like a Spathyphyllium (Peace lily)? Are they Good for torts?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Robyn, I did work hard, thank you. Using power tools, although it's my husbands liviehood, is not my thing!!
The plant is a Peace lily, but the torts can't even come close to reaching it. That was the next thing to check on, I have a zillon plants in my home. Which ones are safe? Spider plants are abundant right now, are they ok? I did see hens and chix are good, but they are outside in hibernation, I'll be sure to keep some of those in next year.
The stool is what the clamps fit on!! but I do think the lights have to be re tweeked. That project today.(maybe new pens for the Rf anf\d the Leopard next week!!!)
How often do you guys completely change the substrate??
Na

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nay said:
(maybe new pens for the Rf anf\d the Leopard next week!!!)

You go girl :D
Spider plants and wandering jew are good. I feed my torts these fequently. I seen the clamps on the stool I just thought it cute and really not a bad idea. My guys are on 6 to 8 inches of dirt and sand plus shredded aspen I don't change the entire substrate. They are outside from about March to Nov. Next year they will be on only aspen so I will probably change the whole thing out more often. Most of their toilet habits are done during soak time so it saves on the cleanup.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Nay said:
Tell me what I am missing for them, it's about time I get it right.Thanks

Good work Nay!
Looks like your hard work payed off.
How are the torts liking the new setup?
What did the old one look like?

woou2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What a fantastic Forum am new to Torts so will probably be asking lots of silly questions bear with me and what a great enclosure
Testudo Greek :D

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks woou2.
Welcomo to TFO. You'll find alot of help here, so feel free to ask away ;)
cheers,
T.

Abaqus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How did you attach the two totes together so the substrate does not come out?

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Abaqus said:
How did you attach the two totes together so the substrate does not come out?

notice on the second pic (above) one of the light fixtures clamps both totes together. actually, I don't even have that setup exactly as pictured, and the totes stay in place even without clamping. the weight of the soil, stones, plants and dishes keep everything nice and tidy.

Of course it's a baby tort. a bigger animal would require EXTRA attention to detail.

even so, I still get a strait line of soil in between the totes over a 2 to 3 month period. I just clean that while I clean the rest of the enclosure.

no big deal, really. :cool:

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My winter enclosure for my 9-in redfoot was a 55 gal. storage bin in the kitchen. I let Chief Wilma out to run around the kitchen during the day. Then, this spring, I found a 4 x 4 ft. bookcase with no shelves, knocked out the back, and laid it on a grassy spot. Along with some cypress mulch I placed a large clay water dish, a concrete block with a sq. wood cover in one corner for a hide and cool place, & planted a dwarf banana tree. It is placed in backyard with part shade. I rotate a large piece of bark or a flat rock, or several other rocks to keep her from getting bored. I let her out into the yard to graze and she loves to watch the dog, or will keep an eye on me as she moseys around. She loves being misted.

Status
Not open for further replies.