new russian tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertaeb

5 Year Member
I just finished my russian tortoise inclosure. I only have one russian right now but have plenty of room for a couple of more. looking for some rescues.
I plan on painting the outside of the cinderblocks white to match the house and plant some flowers in the tops of the cinder blocks to make it look nice.
here are some pictures.
IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
That is going to make a nice home for your redfoot when it is done I seen your other post where do you keep your sully? have any pic's?

albertaeb

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
That is going to make a nice home for your redfoot when it is done I seen your other post where do you keep your sully? have any pic's?

here are pictures of the sullys pen. it will look better once summer gets here and everything is growing again. I also give them time to roam the yard when we are outside.

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

this is my new rescue that I took in. I am looking for a home for him.
IMG_1882.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi albertaeb:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

You've made a really nice habitat for your Russian tortoise. He'll be very happy in there!

albertaeb

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi albertaeb:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

You've made a really nice habitat for your Russian tortoise. He'll be very happy in there!

my name is Alberta and I live in florida

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hi Alberta. I never thought I would be saying this but I love all your weeds, LOL :) Do your Sulcatas try to push through the fence?

albertaeb

5 Year Member
Missy said:
Hi Alberta. I never thought I would be saying this but I love all your weeds, LOL :) Do your Sulcatas try to push through the fence?

hi, no they haven't tried to push through the fence. they will try to reach any weeds on the outside but thats it. the fence is hog pannels and is very strong. easy to move but once the grass and weeds start growing around it it becomes at one with the ground. I am sure once they get bigger I may have to put up a sight barrier to keep them from seeing the outside and wanting to get out.
thanks Alberta

albertaeb

5 Year Member
here are some pictures of my russian tortoise enclosure completely finished.
IMG_1970.jpg

here is a picture of fluffy(the kids named him) sunning himself.
IMG_1974.jpg

there is plenty of room for a couple of more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w-w..."Fluffy!!" I love names like that. Names that don't usually apply to the type of animal. Your pen turned out very nice. You really DO need a few more Russians to help Fluffy eat down all that food!

And in looking back at your sulcata pen, I noticed that you've hung shade cloth over their dog houses. Nice job.

albertaeb

5 Year Member
I will probably have to get in there with some scissors and trim it up some to it doesn't get to overgrown on him until I get him some friends.

my sulcatas don't use the dog houses anymore they have burrows dug under the shade cloths.

emysemys said:
Aw-w-w..."Fluffy!!" I love names like that. Names that don't usually apply to the type of animal. Your pen turned out very nice. You really DO need a few more Russians to help Fluffy eat down all that food!

And in looking back at your sulcata pen, I noticed that you've hung shade cloth over their dog houses. Nice job.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That's totally awesome! I love it. I am really liking the idea of cinder blocks.

Question: Is your tortoise spending all day out there? - or just when your home kinda thing? I was wondering what you used under the enclosure to prevent him from digging out (if anything). I am trying to get ideas for when I get to work on ours.

albertaeb

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks. I got all the cinder blocks for free of of freecycle. it is a yahoo group that is in just about every city and people give away stuff they don't want anymore. if you go to freecycle.org you can find a local one. I painted the outside with a special paint for cinderblocks so it would all match.

I have the plastic hardware cloth under the pen so he can't dig out. I dug it all up then put the plastic hardware cloth down then dirt on top and planted it.

SnakeyeZ said:
That's totally awesome! I love it. I am really liking the idea of cinder blocks.

Question: Is your tortoise spending all day out there? - or just when your home kinda thing? I was wondering what you used under the enclosure to prevent him from digging out (if anything). I am trying to get ideas for when I get to work on ours.

kimmer

5 Year Member
The russian enclosure looks wonderful! Can I ask what all you planted? I love the pictures of your sullys too! You have a fun backyard!

thanks,
Kim

albertaeb

5 Year Member
I planted some tortoise seed mix I had along with some other veggie seeds I threw in there. most of it is the local weeds that grow in this area.

kimmer said:
The russian enclosure looks wonderful! Can I ask what all you planted? I love the pictures of your sullys too! You have a fun backyard!

thanks,
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.