New russian tortoise any help would be greatly appreciated...

Chavez619

Location (City and/or State)
Chula vista
Hi everybody i got my son Russian tortoise new to this all n need any kind of help or advice with them any help would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi and welcome. Do you have any photos of your sons new Russian that you can attach?

This is a good place to start:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome! After you read the care sheets you'll find out a lot...but I'm sure you may still have questions. That part never stops though. That's why the TFO is such a wonderful place to connect with. Many experienced owners here can help guide you to correct info. Russians aren't terribly hard to keep. It might look really complicated at first. It's not. I've had my little guy 12 years. Just post your questions after you read the care guides. Best wishes.

Chavez619

Chula vista
Hi and welcome. Do you have any photos of your sons new Russian that you can attach?

This is a good place to start:

20200311_183213.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wish I could tell you exactly how to get to the care guides on TFO. I'm not good at anything online so I can't. You joined so maybe check out topics on Russian care. By the by you have a cute little tortoise. For now until you know more for your area...I am keeping my little guy between 70 and 80°f because it's winter. I keep his humidity around 40 to 50%. He's on an open tortoise table with 12"high walls. I provide him fresh water and leafy greens every day...but the food is on a porcelain floor tile. I have a terra cotta planter saucer for his bath and I found a really flat reptile water dish "really cheap years ago" for his drinking water. It's really cute when he gets a little drink and it fits his neck perfectly. I try to keep him in a way that he's not handled too much but I'm still able to interact with him. I love to watch him just be him. Have fun.

Chavez619

Chula vista
Thank u everyone for the feedback it helps getting info about these precious lil guys especially being this my first time getting having a tortie ...

Skip K

Virginia
Do you know if your Russian is wild caught or captive raised? Wild caught Russians can present possible problems down the road that might need to be addressed...the sooner the better

Skip K

Virginia
The only reason I bring this up...we “rescued” two Russians years ago because they looked bad in the pet shop. They were older and wild caught. I took a stool from them to the vet to be checked and they were loaded with parasites. In the wild most torts have parasites...but the level stays manageable for the tort. But once captured...the stress of transporting and change from a natural environment causes the parasites to “bloom”...eventually overwhelming the tort. This can be exacerbated by fruit in a diet. We had our Russian torts dewormed twice...but in the long run...it was too late. If you find the tort is wild caught...you might want to have a stool sample checked by a vet