New Russian Tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I will be adopting a Russian tort (my first) from a local herp rescue on Saturday. I am very excited and will be posting pictures as soon as he/she is home!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your new addition to your family. We will be waiting for pictures. Do you know how old it is or if it's a boy or a girl? :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How exciting!! I definitely want to rescue a tort in the near future.
Can't wait to see pics!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Congratulations on your new addition to your family. We will be waiting for pictures. Do you know how old it is or if it's a boy or a girl? :D

I don't know the sex as of yet. Not even sure how many they have. The person I spoke with told me someone turned one in just the other day, and he is sure there are several in the pen, but he didn't go look while we were talking. Doesn't matter to me anyway, really. Just excited!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Ok, I went to the Phoenix Herp. Society today and picked out this little girl. I names her Daisy. So, Russian experts, take a look and tell me what you think about age. Her shell, like many of the others, have some chipped and flaking going on. She was very alert and had no problems with me stroking her neck and legs immediately upon picking her up. I have her in a large aquarium. There is a small fan for moving fresh air around. I will be putting up borders along the bottom of the sides so she can't see out and try to dig. She's a cutie!!

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Daisy has a very feminine face! Congratulations on your new family member!

What are you using for substrate? I'm not sure I like it. It looks very "loose." They need something a little more firm for ease of walking and digging.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Daisy has a very feminine face! Congratulations on your new family member!

What are you using for substrate? I'm not sure I like it. It looks very "loose." They need something a little more firm for ease of walking and digging.

The very top layer is Lizard Litter, from walnut shells. Underneath are a couple of bricks of bed-a-beast. It get's mixed together pretty quicky, as she already did when she dug herself under the hide last night. Do you think I should maybe add another brick or two and mix it in really well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Crushed walnut shells isn't a good idea. They usually use black walnuts and they're toxic. And besides that, they cause impaction if they are accidentally eaten.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Crushed walnut shells isn't a good idea. They usually use black walnuts and they're toxic. And besides that, they cause impaction if they are accidentally eaten.

Good to know! I'll scoop that top layer off and give more soil.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh she is SO cute! What a pretty girl :)
Congrats on your new addition!

What size tank is she in? Is that a temporary or permanent enclosure?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations on the arrival of Daisy! I love her cute little button nose, and her perky little butt peeking out from her hide. :D

Have you ever tried Cypress mulch for substrate? It's non-messy and provides firm footing. ;)

How is Petunia adjusting to the new sibling? :p

rwfoss

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
Oh she is SO cute! What a pretty girl :)
Congrats on your new addition!

What size tank is she in? Is that a temporary or permanent enclosure?

Not exactly sure of the size, but the picture only shows half of the tank. It's pretty big. It is temporary, but how temporary is going to depend on the help I get from you guys on the forum! One place (not on here) I read that big tanks like this are okay if you provide air circulation, which I have. I think Petunia (our sulcata) will be ready for a permanent home in the back yard within a year, so Daisy would get her tortoise table. However, if there are experienced owners who say absolutely no for tanks, I'm good with that. (The tank was free, so it's not like I'm out any money.) I was thinking about Gus' old enclosure, but I'd have to build up the sides to prevent another disappearing act!

Stephanie Logan said:
Congratulations on the arrival of Daisy! I love her cute little button nose, and her perky little butt peeking out from her hide. :D

Have you ever tried Cypress mulch for substrate? It's non-messy and provides firm footing. ;)

How is Petunia adjusting to the new sibling? :p

I haven't tried Cypress. You now, I'm still stuck in the mode of choosing substrates for invertebrates. I need to switch that off!

As for Petunia, she got her first face-to-face with Daisy today and - SCHLOOP - right into her shell. Daisy didn't care much either, but she was too busy exploring everything else around her. Here is a picture of their meeting...

IMG_1169.jpg

And her first bath...

IMG_1161.jpg

And a little snack...

IMG_1166.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Awww love the new pictures :) I know some of our more experienced keepers have kept tortoises in tanks. I just wanted to make sure she had enough room :)

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Okay, next questions. Since this is my third tortoise (yes, I'm counting poor Gus), I understand the not-eating-thing as they are getting used to a new home. However, since this is my first Russian, I wanted to make sure this burrying-of-self is just as normal not-eating-thing. From the moment I put her in her home, she went straight for her hide. She eventually dug all of the substrate on top of her, burrying herself in a way. I left her there 24 hours, then brought her out for a soak (which she took two long drinks). Put her back and she went straight past the food dish and right back into "bed."

This morning I wanted to start her on the routine that Petunia is on. Lights on (heat and UVB), then after 20-30 minutes, the food comes. I got her out of her hide, picked her up and gave her a little stroke under the chin, and put her in front of the food. She sniffed a couple of times, then zoom...right back into the hide.

No need to worry?? Temperature on the end with the hide she is using is about 78-80 degrees.

Lori J

5 Year Member
New York
My russian did the same thing. The first few days he didnt come out much or eat much. It will happen. Just be patient and try not to handle to much. I know thats hard not to do though...

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Well, I just got home and she was still under her hide. However, I saw that she came out at some point and ate her fresh salad I gave her this morning. So that's good.

And you're right...it's hard not to handle her too much!!

And Stephanie - I picked up some Cypress mulch on the way home. She's got a new substrate - and I LOVE the smell of that stuff!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Cool. :D

And did someone tell you about not letting them get too close since one species may have microorganisms that can make the other species very sick?

I think it's reassuring that Daisy knows exactly what to do to conceal herself safely from possible predators. Cover up and blend in! :p

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Yes, I put Petunia and Daisy together for the one photo op. They got within three inches of each other and then got put away. I have no fantasies about them becoming buddies. (However, I've been thinking about maybe getting Daisy a girlfriend to hangout with and tell secrets to, talk about boys, etc.)

rwfoss

5 Year Member
This morning, I am happy! Turned on the lights for Petunia and Daisy and came back 30 minutes later to clean out bowls and feed. Of course, there is Petunia, getting warm under the lamp, waiting for breakfast. I turn to Daisy's enclosure and there she is! Out from under her hide, under the heat lamp, and looking up at me. I came over to her and she walked right up to the side to say hello. Put her food in and she dove right in. Yeah! Was even able to snap some pictures of her eating. (Petunia stops eating is she knows she's being watched.)

Status
Not open for further replies.