New Russian Owner - Please Help!

ambbeeee

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone! I’ve been doing so much research in the past month that my head is spinning. I have some basic questions that I would like some help on!

First off, I have a 6 month old Russian tort. Currently he is in a tank with a screened top. I have a tube UVB and a basking light. The basking side is around 90-95 and cooler side stays around 75. Currently both the heat lamp and UVB stay on for 12 hours and turn off at night for 12 hours. Night temps are around 72 for the entire enclosure. Now onto my questions!

1) I’d like to make him a humid hide, as I know this is important. I have a container that will work. What is the best substrate to use inside? I’ve heard Spahgnum moss is good (others say it’s bad because they may eat it). I’ve also heard about wet paper towels. Thoughts? How humid should it be inside the hide? Also - I will keep the humid hide on the warm side (not directly under but next to the basking light) however my concern is the temperature drop at night time. Do I need to keep the hide warm at night as well? (I have a CHE but that will be three lights then).

2) I know that closed chamber tanks are best for babies. I’ve read covering the screen with aluminum foil will work. Is there anything else I can do? What do I want the humidity to be for the baby? Do I only wet down the warm side or do I wet down the cool side as well? Also - at what age can the tort be transferred to a tort table without a closed chamber environment?

I’m sure I have more questions - but this is all that is really on my mind at the moment. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You must've bought your tortoise from a breeder, otherwise you wouldn't know his age, right? People who buy Russians at pet stores are always told the wrong age because the salespeople don't understand that it's a very small species and so they think it's a baby. Russians in pet stores are at least 8 to 10 years of age, and sometimes older.

Russian tortoises aren't prone to pyramiding like other species are, so the humid hide isn't as important, and a closed chamber isn't necessary. Light humidity is all that's necessary.

ambbeeee

Michigan
You must've bought your tortoise from a breeder, otherwise you wouldn't know his age, right? People who buy Russians at pet stores are always told the wrong age because the salespeople don't understand that it's a very small species and so they think it's a baby. Russians in pet stores are at least 8 to 10 years of age, and sometimes older.

Russian tortoises aren't prone to pyramiding like other species are, so the humid hide isn't as important, and a closed chamber isn't necessary. Light humidity is all that's necessary.

Hi Yvonne!

Yes he is from a breeder. I wanted to make sure he was not from the wild and had a healthy start. Light humidity - what percentage would you say? I have yet to get a hydrometer but plan to this week.

Thank you for your help!