New Rescue in Iowa

BigandSmallTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Hello! I am a new member to the forum, but have always used the threads to learn how to care for my tortoises properly - it is a great source of information and there are very knowledgeable folks here! I recently decided to become a member in order to be involved with the adoption section, which is why I want to introduce myself. I recently started a rescue and sanctuary for tortoises in Iowa. There currently is no such group specifically for tortoises in our area and it is a slow process to get ourselves known. So far I have taken in just 5 tortoises (but in total I have 7, 2 were purchased as my own personal pets). I would like to someday adopt a larger sulcata tortoise to 1. gain experience with larger tortoises, 2. gain credibility for our rescue, and 3. show others what a cute little sulcata will grow into, how much it poops/pees/eats, and that they are not for everyone! I will be searching the adoptions section for a larger tortoise and am willing to drive long distance for pickup. If I have some at our rescue that need to be adopted, I can also share that information if that's allowed. If interested the rescue website is the following - http://bigandsmalltortoise.x10host.com/index.php
On this website I have all the information about how I care for my tortoises, and also pictures of all my tortoises. Feel free to give advice and friendly suggestions! I am learning as I go, and I never claim to be an expert - there are many out there more experienced and I will never be offended by critiques.
Thanks and looking forward to interacting with you all!
Kim

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
To save everyone some search time, here is the splash page on this org...

• Welcome to Big & Small Tortoise Rescue & Sanctuary!
  • Thank you for taking the time to learn more about our tortoise rescue! We are a small (soon to be non-profit) organization that is home-based in Ames, Iowa. We gladly take in any and all tortoises - big and small! Our passion for tortoises started with a few rescues, which also helped us gain experience in rehabilitative care. Please click on the blue links above to access more information regarding our rescue and sanctuary!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to tfo. I pretty much do the same thing. But all my tortoises now are family. I feed ,care,and house them all on my dime . I started with two red footed tortoises . Now I have three large sulcatas, 7 red footed tortoises,two leopards, three box turtles, a few snapping turtles ,and red ear sliders . In no time you'll have a full house. Some advice... build enclosures with heated houses and have them ready to go . Also setup quarantine enclosures for sick animals . Don't put new animals with established animals . But you probably already know this . Read all the pinned post at the top of each of our species specific sections and print the care sheets out for easy to read and care information to pass out when someone adopts a tortoise .

BigandSmallTortoise

Thank you mike! That is good advice to have several extra enclosures - even extra heaters and lights, etc. I am learning this the hard way. I am so unknown at this stage that I usually just wait for them to say there is a tortoise they do not want. but then I am always frantic getting everythin ready.