New Redfoot Tortoise Mom

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
And the tank will work for awhile, there's nothing wrong with using it, he's just going to out grow it, in about a year, maybe sooner, but don't worry about that right now, you have Time to upgrade,

RaeLee

Georgia
I can't see the picture you posted, so I am guessing that you covered the holes, which yes will get the humidity under control, and keep the moisture inside the encloser, it doesn't have to be pretty, only get the job done,
No I have not did it yet because I need card board or card stock to cover it. I don’t know why you could not see my attachementsE6F21F5D-7470-45F3-BF74-876B9C1A2C9D.jpegE6F21F5D-7470-45F3-BF74-876B9C1A2C9D.jpegE6F21F5D-7470-45F3-BF74-876B9C1A2C9D.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C5C4946-2342-4F2E-A5DF-CCB9DC1433AB.jpeg
    4C5C4946-2342-4F2E-A5DF-CCB9DC1433AB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

jeneliza

burton michigan
No I have not did it yet because I need card board or card stock to cover it. I don’t know why you could not see my attachementsView attachment 291156View attachment 291156View attachment 291156
Oh okay, that's easier, because your light is right on the side, leave the lid all the way on, and cover right up to the light, if you don't have card stock, just use tinfoil for now, the cardstock just makes it stronger, but anything that blocks the air from leaving the encloser will work, tinfoil works on it's own just double it up, so it's thicker, and it should work,

jeneliza

burton michigan
One other danger I see is the window, be careful with the sunlight, it is magnify by the glass, and can burn your little dude or girl, sorry to point out a possible danger, I know you must feel overwhelmed, but I don't want you to have any thing happen to your little dude

RaeLee

Georgia
Oh okay, that's easier, because your light is right on the side, leave the lid all the way on, and cover right up to the light, if you don't have card stock, just use tinfoil for now, the cardstock just makes it stronger, but anything that blocks the air from leaving the encloser will work, tinfoil works on it's own just double it up, so it's thicker, and it should work,
Okay got it but if the tin foil is on the UVB it is okay just not the lamp right because that is what gets hot.

RaeLee

Georgia
One other danger I see is the window, be careful with the sunlight, it is magnify by the glass, and can burn your little dude or girl, sorry to point out a possible danger, I know you must feel overwhelmed, but I don't want you to have any thing happen to your little dude
Yeah it is overwhelming but I felt by the window was great because of the sunlight. He stays hiding a lot but at the same time you see he is on a chair and I still need furniture so I need a table to set him on so I’m in the process of getting things but I try not to get out now because of only it’s only a certain amount of people in the store and I work a or and currently at home so move him like against the all of the kitchen? Any advice helps and I REALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE YOU taking the time to message me. I want him to be happy but I feel I spent all this money and it’s wrong. I’m a worrier and my tortoise and bettas are my babies. :) Thank you so much!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your enclosure is fine by the window. If you cover the whole screen top and around your light with tin foil that will work for a while. You'll probably need to upgrade in about a year as your tortoise will outgrow that tank. At that time if your tort is growing smooth you can probably get away with an open top. They really only need the super high humidity for the first 1-2 years.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'd also add a lot of plants and cover to your enclosure. Live plants will help with humidity. Tortoises don't feel secure in open spaces. This is my yearlings enclosureIMG_20200416_070905099.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also, this is how you soak your Tortoise. Just fill up a small bowl or dish with enough warm water to come up to about the neck and let your tort sit in it for about 15-30 minutes daily.IMG_20200416_073347597.jpg

RaeLee

Georgia
Your enclosure is fine by the window. If you cover the whole screen top and around your light with tin foil that will work for a while. You'll probably need to upgrade in about a year as your tortoise will outgrow that tank. At that time if your tort is growing smooth you can probably get away with an open top. They really only need the super high humidity for the first 1-2 years.
Would there even be a way to find out how old he is? I will cover it up today I’ll get some things from the dollar tree to make it. I just bathed him this morning and loved on him. I’ll be glad when he gets really comfortable with me. I tried to get him to eat but I guess he will on his own time. I do have one more question his food is in a dish lee it that way or just spread it out on the mulch?

RaeLee

Georgia
Also, this is how you soak your Tortoise. Just fill up a small bowl or dish with enough warm water to come up to about the neck and let your tort sit in it for about 15-30 minutes daily.View attachment 291169
I just bathed him in the sink because I don’t have a tub for him yet I plan on getting all of that today when I go out haven’t been out since I got him. So I’ll remember 15-30 minutes. He seemed nervous so I didn’t let him stay in there long but I’ll make it a daily routine so he can get use to it. Sooooo.....also the first day I got him which was Sunday he pooped all in the box but since then I have not seen any poop did he burry it in the mulch or constipated or does that happen? LOL please don’t laugh but I don’t want him struggling but when I took him outside just to walk he was waking fast and exploring. :)

RaeLee

Georgia
Also, this is how you soak your Tortoise. Just fill up a small bowl or dish with enough warm water to come up to about the neck and let your tort sit in it for about 15-30 minutes daily.View attachment 291169
I just thought about it I have a plastic show container I don’t use that he can soak in. When I just looked at your picture again I realized it thank you thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just bathed him in the sink because I don’t have a tub for him yet I plan on getting all of that today when I go out haven’t been out since I got him. So I’ll remember 15-30 minutes. He seemed nervous so I didn’t let him stay in there long but I’ll make it a daily routine so he can get use to it. Sooooo.....also the first day I got him which was Sunday he pooped all in the box but since then I have not seen any poop did he burry it in the mulch or constipated or does that happen? LOL please don’t laugh but I don’t want him struggling but when I took him outside just to walk he was waking fast and exploring. :)
He's probably just still getting adjusted. I think you'll notice that most times they poop in the water when you soak them. It's also possible, though entirely gross, that he's eating the poop before you find it, they do that from time to time ?

RaeLee

Georgia
He's probably just still getting adjusted. I think you'll notice that most times they poop in the water when you soak them. It's also possible, though entirely gross, that he's eating the poop before you find it, they do that from time to time ?
Oh wow! Okay. I have learned so much and I try to just stick with the forum because obviously I did not get everything when I needed to get and I really want to make sure he is good but I keep an eye and check o him. He is probably like why does she keep coming in here but I just look and if he sleep I don’t say anything but if he’s awake I’ll talk to him but like you said he has to adjust it’s only been a few days. I appreciate you and everyone with quick responses and this was perfect since I am not on social media (don’t judge me lol jk)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh wow! Okay. I have learned so much and I try to just stick with the forum because obviously I did not get everything when I needed to get and I really want to make sure he is good but I keep an eye and check o him. He is probably like why does she keep coming in here but I just look and if he sleep I don’t say anything but if he’s awake I’ll talk to him but like you said he has to adjust it’s only been a few days. I appreciate you and everyone with quick responses and this was perfect since I am not on social media (don’t judge me lol jk)
It will take every bit of a month or so before he completely settles in and develops a routine. He will quickly learn that your the God of food too. I feed mine at the same time every day and they're waiting at the food dish everyday at that time.

RaeLee

Georgia
It will take every bit of a month or so before he completely settles in and develops a routine. He will quickly learn that your the God of food too. I feed mine at the same time every day and they're waiting at the food dish everyday at that time.
Okay I have been doing that already but sometimes he eats out my hand and sometimes he just looks at me so I’m sure when he gets hungry he will eat.

RaeLee

Georgia
I'd also add a lot of plants and cover to your enclosure. Live plants will help with humidity. Tortoises don't feel secure in open spaces. This is my yearlings enclosureView attachment 291167
I just saw this it looks amazing where did you get all your live plants from to fit? It looks wonderful I need all of that. Come plant shopping with me LOL. I have so much to learn lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just saw this it looks amazing where did you get all your live plants from to fit? It looks wonderful I need all of that. Come plant shopping with me LOL. I have so much to learn lol
Most of the are plants (The hosta, and monkey grass) I dug up from my yard. The one in the front corner is fake. You want to be careful getting plants from a nursery. Most of them use pesticides. If you do get them from a nursery repot them and grow them out a few months before your tortoise has access to them. Pothos is a great one because you can take cuttings from it and propagate them easily and in that case you don't have to wait.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I'd also add a lot of plants and cover to your enclosure. Live plants will help with humidity. Tortoises don't feel secure in open spaces. This is my yearlings enclosureView attachment 291167
Your setup with live plants is beautiful, but mine would eat it in a week, lol..not because she's hungry, but because she's board, or just because she's nosie, and can lol..but I think mine is about twice the size of yours ,

RaeLee

Georgia
Most of the are plants (The hosta, and monkey grass) I dug up from my yard. The one in the front corner is fake. You want to be careful getting plants from a nursery. Most of them use pesticides. If you do get them from a nursery repot them and grow them out a few months before your tortoise has access to them. Pothos is a great one because you can take cuttings from it and propagate them easily and in that case you don't have to wait.
I do not have anything in my yard and my yard guy has put fertilizer on the yard and all that so it’s been a mess. I hate I can’t take him out only on the concrete which sucks but I didn’t know.