New Redfoot Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Figured it was time to upgrade T Rex's enclosure from his current 20gal tank. The new one is 43.5x24x16. It's still drying and will be a little while before I can put him in it but we (my dad, my bf, and I) got most of it built today/yesterday. After it drys we pretty much just have to put the plexiglass on the front/top and it will be complete!

Current enclosure:
img20130111195100.jpg

New enclosure progress:
394898_10200323583073787_1698888487_n.jpg

img20130127214606.jpg

img20130128185417.jpg

img20130128185439.jpg

2nd floor Hide Box:
img20130128185454.jpg

img20130128185710.jpg

img20130128185522.jpg
img20130128185728.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks really nice. Love the second pic, he's so tiny in his new big home. Nice that your dad and BF helped you. That tortie is loved:)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Yes he sure is a spoiled little guy! He will be sharing his enclosure with a friend in the near future so that was another reason for the upgrade. :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I used polyurethane on the wood and I just saw someone post something about it being toxic. Will my tort be alright if I let it dry for like a week before I move him into the enclosure?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
immayo said:
I used polyurethane on the wood and I just saw someone post something about it being toxic. Will my tort be alright if I let it dry for like a week before I move him into the enclosure?
Depends on what type of "poly" your speaking of......
Oil based finishes dry/cure in two steps. First the thinners evaporate and the finish becomes tack free. Then oxygen begins to combine with the varnish and curing begins. It's the curing that makes the finish hard, durable and develops full adhesion. This curing process can take 3-4 weeks depending on environmental conditions like humidity and air temperature and how thick a film was applied. As long as it is emitting and odor, it's still curing.
A lot of folks confuse oil based finishes and lacquer/water based polyurethanes:
The long term off-gassing is only a characteristic of oil based finishes. Lacquer/water based "polys" do not pose this reaction.
A good solid week is just fine ..............

JD~

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Alright so I checked and the one I bought was Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane, which is water based. It already seems pretty dry but I am not taking any chances and will wait at least a week (and for the smell to be gone) before I use the enclosure! Thanks again guys! :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Not gonna lie I am sure my dad would be up for it if you really wanted us to.. he is kind of a handy man and is always in need of activities like these to keep himself busy! Only thing is we would have to charge you :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
For you and Pop's .... A job well done! .....very nice :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
immayo said:
Not gonna lie I am sure my dad would be up for it if you really wanted us to.. he is kind of a handy man and is always in need of activities like these to keep himself busy! Only thing is we would have to charge you :p

Where are you located? I would love a enclosure like that :)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
immayo said:
shucks. I'm in ca. Your enclosure actually gave me an idea tho, I was originally going to expand my habitat horizontally but now I'm just going to build up. Specially since I have no more indoor space, much better idea.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Yea I don't have a ton of space right now either. (Hopefully I get my own place soon) Building a 2nd story does add a good amount of room depending on how big you make it. I'm glad to hear I helped you with some ideas! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.