new red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new to this website but i have a baby red foot tortoise. I got him/her at a reptile rally 3 days ago. I'm using a base diet i got online: DAY # 1
Base-diet of leafy greens
DAY #2
Base-diet with fruit
Day #3
Base-diet of leafy greens
DAY #4
Base-diet with vegetable
DAY #5
Base-diet with fruit
Day #6
Base-diet with meat
Day #7
No food day
I researched that they shouldn't eat meat that often so instead of feeding him protein on day 6 I'll give him leafy greens. Every 1st of the month ill feed him a boiled egg. His shell is smooth and there's no sign of pyramiding. I just have a question. His poop looks like diarrhea and today when he peed, white spots were in it. He is really active and I've been feeding him what he's supposed to eat. He's been having diarrhea looking poop. Will this pass over within days? Or will i need to bring him to a vet?
Also i attached a photo of him and his terrarium. Is it okay? i have sphagnum moss on one side and Eco earth soil on the other. :tort:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

Phobi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, MO
Hello Congrats on your new Baby! Im not sure about the pooping and peeing but ide give it a few more days and make sure he has Fresh water and try to get the Foods Organic from your local store. Well im sure if I dont say it someone else will... but you will need to get your lil guy a Bigger home to live in he will out grow that one in a matter of months. JUST to let you know. I like the half and half.If you have a yard or backyard try building him a outside enclosure that is the BEST for them as its all natural sun light, and more room to play and exercise. :) JUST make sure its warm enough for the little booger lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The white in the pee is urates, normal. The runny poop, not sure. Might need to have a stool sample done for parasites. The one day no food. That is not needed. In the wild they would eat every day. Some will skip days but most don't recommend it. The enclosure looks nice. Some plants to hide under and to make him more secure would be nice. Also, the UVB light, do not use the coil kind. They cause eye problems. Also, if the UVB is sitting on top of screen, you are blocking most of the UVB needed. UVB doesn't go through glass, plastic and screen/ tight woven mesh blocks most of it.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
Phobi said:
Hello Congrats on your new Baby! Im not sure about the pooping and peeing but ide give it a few more days and make sure he has Fresh water and try to get the Foods Organic from your local store. Well im sure if I dont say it someone else will... but you will need to get your lil guy a Bigger home to live in he will out grow that one in a matter of months. JUST to let you know. I like the half and half.If you have a yard or backyard try building him a outside enclosure that is the BEST for them as its all natural sun light, and more room to play and exercise. :) JUST make sure its warm enough for the little booger lol

Yes, I will be getting him a lot bigger cage within months. We have a sun room and im still trying to convince my parents to let me use it as a tortoise room. ha but thanks for the advice!

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The white in the pee is urates, normal. The runny poop, not sure. Might need to have a stool sample done for parasites. The one day no food. That is not needed. In the wild they would eat every day. Some will skip days but most don't recommend it. The enclosure looks nice. Some plants to hide under and to make him more secure would be nice. Also, the UVB light, do not use the coil kind. They cause eye problems. Also, if the UVB is sitting on top of screen, you are blocking most of the UVB needed. UVB doesn't go through glass, plastic and screen/ tight woven mesh blocks most of it.

I didnt know about the UVB thing… thanks for telling me! And for the seventh day should i do just greens? Or a second day of vegetables?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It sounds like you are using a diet plan based on something like turtletary.com. It is a good diet, but there are other options and ideas out there, and not everyone agrees with several aspects of the details of his diet (like the no protein in the first 6 months- no one else seems to hold to this.)

There are other diet plans and suggestions listed in the Library, linked below, that you may want to consider.

As for me, I would adjust your plan this way...

Every day- base of dark leafy greens
3xweekly add non-sweet fruits like green peppers, squash, pumpkin, cherrys, cucumbers, etc. as well as vegetables like shredded carrots or mushrooms. Small amounts of especially good fruits can be added here as well- papaya, figs, etc .
1xweekly use a 'treat'- sweet fruits, meat, something special like corn on the cob, etc.
Also 1xweekly- add a small pinch of supplements

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
You have already been given some excellent advice, so I'll just say Welcome to TFO!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.