New red foot

Tara Robbins

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I will be getting a new red foot next week. It will be a baby about 2 months old. I have been doing lots of reading and research. There’s sooo much information. This forum seems to have the best advice. :) I want to make sure I’m doing everything right before he comes. I have a Rubbermaid tub it’s about 32 in x 24 and about 15 in deep (approx). I will get cypress mulch and spangum moss, have a terra-cotta dish for water and a smaller one for food. I bought a 60 watt heat lamp (per pet store recommendation), but I think I should change it to CHE 100 watt? Also have the dome for the bulb. We plan on keeping tub outside for most of the day when we are home 2pm-7pm. We live in Houston hot and humid here! Then bring him in at night and when we are at work to keep him safe. So I don’t need UVB right? For hides I will have several fake plants for cover. I’m trying to avoid log hides or anything he will climb on. We very unfortunately had a red foot a few years ago and he flipped right under the heat lamp while we were at work. We were obv very upset and it’s taken us awhile to be ready for another one. :( So I’m very nervous, and is why I want more natural light for him vs indoor and heat lamps. I also have a digital thermometer and will need a thermostat for CHE right? I think I remembered everything. I want to make sure I do everything right, and have my new little guy as happy and healthy as possible. Any and all advice of things to do or change will be very appreciated! TIA!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone. I will be getting a new red foot next week. It will be a baby about 2 months old. I have been doing lots of reading and research. There’s sooo much information. This forum seems to have the best advice. :) I want to make sure I’m doing everything right before he comes. I have a Rubbermaid tub it’s about 32 in x 24 and about 15 in deep (approx). I will get cypress mulch and spangum moss, have a terra-cotta dish for water and a smaller one for food. I bought a 60 watt heat lamp (per pet store recommendation), but I think I should change it to CHE 100 watt? Also have the dome for the bulb. We plan on keeping tub outside for most of the day when we are home 2pm-7pm. We live in Houston hot and humid here! Then bring him in at night and when we are at work to keep him safe. So I don’t need UVB right? For hides I will have several fake plants for cover. I’m trying to avoid log hides or anything he will climb on. We very unfortunately had a red foot a few years ago and he flipped right under the heat lamp while we were at work. We were obv very upset and it’s taken us awhile to be ready for another one. :( So I’m very nervous, and is why I want more natural light for him vs indoor and heat lamps. I also have a digital thermometer and will need a thermostat for CHE right? I think I remembered everything. I want to make sure I do everything right, and have my new little guy as happy and healthy as possible. Any and all advice of things to do or change will be very appreciated! TIA!

Do you have the set up already going? Since you are talking about mere days away...I would go right ahead and set the entire space up....substrate in and moisten already and super hand packed down solid...I would set up safety spots for the tort (spots he will feel safe to hide in) and I would set up the lighting for day and night and then place spots where you take temp readings (some folks get super serious and use heat guns, and that is fine...but for the more primal of us in the group you can place something that is the height of the tort and place a temp gauge on those spots to get the highs and lows for day and night). If you are going to offer full time water dish I would be sure to sink it into the substrate while you are setting that up so you can get a good set spot and also food spot. Kinda like when you are setting up a new aquarium...you always set that up before any occupants arrive...that way you have tweak all before the critter arrives...this way your set up is good and the new occupant can not be messed with while trying to settle in.....and you will need to let it go what happened with your other tort...while it is easier said than done...don't be led by sadness and fear...rather be led by what you learned....this is much more help :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to the forum!

I live with a redfoot and have learned a lot from TFO ... if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I think the most important thing you can do is to get the temp and humidity up into the 80s by enclosing their home, provide daily soaks, and make sure they're getting the proper foods.

Jamie

Tara Robbins

5 Year Member
Do you have the set up already going? Since you are talking about mere days away...I would go right ahead and set the entire space up....substrate in and moisten already and super hand packed down solid...I would set up safety spots for the tort (spots he will feel safe to hide in) and I would set up the lighting for day and night and then place spots where you take temp readings (some folks get super serious and use heat guns, and that is fine...but for the more primal of us in the group you can place something that is the height of the tort and place a temp gauge on those spots to get the highs and lows for day and night). If you are going to offer full time water dish I would be sure to sink it into the substrate while you are setting that up so you can get a good set spot and also food spot. Kinda like when you are setting up a new aquarium...you always set that up before any occupants arrive...that way you have tweak all before the critter arrives...this way your set up is good and the new occupant can not be messed with while trying to settle in.....and you will need to let it go what happened with your other tort...while it is easier said than done...don't be led by sadness and fear...rather be led by what you learned....this is much more help :)

Thank you ❤️ I do not have it set up yet. I will get it set up Thurs/Friday. I still need to get the cypress mulch and switch out the heat lamp to a CHE. (I think). Everything else I have sound right? Thanks again.

Connecticut
Hello there! Congratulations on getting a Redfoot tortoise. I just wanted to mention you probably will need a 100 watt at least CHE, or light bulb for you enclosure depending on substrate height, etc. I have a similar set up to yours. I just tried out different bulbs for my enclosure, and was able to return the ones I didn't need after I got the temperature right. I actually use a 150 watt UV bulb to get the proper temperatures for my enclosure. My light source is far away from the substrate. Alot of people recommend a CHE over a bulb. I however use a UV light bulb, and a separate UVB bulb. Hope this information helps you out!!!

nmcgooby90

Duluth MN
Sounds like you are on the right track for sure.

As for the CHE bulb I would upgrade to a 100 watt one because I found that 60 wasn't enough and only kept the enclosure around 77 degrees. I try to aim for 82+ degrees during the day

If you're worried about your tortoise climbing on the logs and flipping around I'd get a terracotta pot like the picture, and flip that on its side, makes a great hideout that your tort wont climb on.
terra-cotta-pennington-plant-pots-100043013-64_100.jpg

Cheers

Tara Robbins

5 Year Member
Thank you! I will be exchanging the bulb for a CHE now, and will get a terra-cotta pot. Glad the wont try to climb that. So am I right not getting the UVB if I will have him outside several hours each day?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you! I will be exchanging the bulb for a CHE now, and will get a terra-cotta pot. Glad the wont try to climb that. So am I right not getting the UVB if I will have him outside several hours each day?

I think if you can get him outside for several hours each week year around, he should be fine.

Jamie