new puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Ok, we went and got a bloodhound puppy this weekend. She is an outside dog, is 5 months old and has been raised with her litter mates outdoors in a pen. I absolutely LOVE this dog. I am very tempted to go back and get one of her brothers to keep as a playmate for her. They will be spayed and neutered. Is it a big deal to raise litter mates together? I have heard that you shouldn't raise siblings together...they become too bonded and attached to each other. Any input or thoughts? I was worried about her being alone all day while my wife and I are at work and thought it would be good to get her a companion.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
anyone with any info? i'm not a dog person, i really just want whats best for her....

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I've been keeping Labradors for 20+ years and have always kept two at a time. Never litter mates but very close in age to one another. I wouldn't think of having just one. They do develop an inseperable bond with one another, however it's never affected the relationship with me as they are just as devoted. The only downfall I see is it's tough on the other when one passes away.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep Chihuahua's and always have two. These little dogs want to go everywhere with you, and when there's two you don't feel so bad leaving them home.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Bloodhounds can be a very challenging breed. Not for the average pet owner for sure. Hopefully you guys researched the breed and chose it for the right reasons - the reasons that inlcude providing the right home to utilize the breeds strengths and skills. There is a bloodhound down the road that is just miserable and very vocale about it. Just tied up or kenneled up and never out hunting or working in a way that it needs to be happy. They are great looking dogs. Just need the right owner. Kinda like a husky. Not really meant to be tied up or kept in an apartment with little exercise.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am going to go ahead and get the other one tonight. We have a large enough backyard that is fenced in. They will definitely get their exercise with my three kids playing around with them.

chadk

10 Year Member!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bloodhound.htm

Be sure the kids don't leave the gates open - these dogs are prone to escape, even through a slightly open door you are in the process of closing. Then they are GONE -off chasing some scent until they decide they are done. While they can find there way back, who knows how many streets they will cross and other hazards they'll come accross in their little adventure.

They are very hard to train - not like your typical golden retreiver or lab. You'll always want them on leash (or they will bolt after some scent) and they are big enough to drag the kids along, so an adult usually needs to have that leash...

Best of luck!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Are you going to train them to track? Why a bloodhound? Usully they are working dogs.. but large couch potatoes as well.. not sure how wel they do kept outside. If you arent going to allow them inside with the human Pack, then get a second dog.. but remember.. 2 dogs = twice the bills.. twice the trouble.. twice the barking.. hope you dont have nearby neighbors..
I was once told that the sign of a good quality bloodhound.. was drool on the ceiling! they fling it well!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, the nighbor issue is important. The one that lives by us is over a block away and we hear him howling and barking quite clearly and sometimes for hours on end. Would hate to live next door (my kids have tried to 'rescue' the poor thing before).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll be much better off with just the one. Especially given the situation with staying with the littermates and mother for way too long. Having just the one will encourage her to bond with you and your family. If you get a second one, all of their social needs will be met by each other and they won't need you. This is very important in your case as she is likely to be very litterbound. I've trained more than a dozen bloodhounds and they can be very challenging. They are also a lot of fun and have very fun personalities.

Have fun with her. They can be great dogs.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Tom, if the dog is used to being with his family, and then stuck in the yard with nobody around all night, he is going to miserable. And a miserable hound dog is a LOUD hound dog, and a potentially distructive hound dog, and possibly an escape artist. If the dog was going to be indoors and they wanted to bond with it that way (part of the family pack), then I think you have a point. But since it will be purely an outside dog, maybe a buddy will help keep it from too much seperation anxiety??? No expert -just my thoughts on it....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will adapt and get used to it. I assume a fair amount of training and interaction will take place with the new dog.

If it were a situation where the dog was going to be chucked in the backyard and ignored (all too common), I would recommend NO dog.

I don't believe this will be the case with Cameron. Because this pup is already so far "behind the curve" after 5 months of staying with the mom and litter, I think she, Cameron and Cameron's family will be far better off in the long run with just one.

Nuisance barking, regardless of the reason, is a whole 'nother issue, and could/should be dealt with in any number of ways depending on the cause and situation. My Bloodhounds have never been allowed to nuisance bark and they sure would have liked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.