5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Here are some pictures of my sulcata.
5/27/2013
1152713_zpsb8a5a88e.jpg

5/11/13
951113_zps04aaca71.jpg

He has started to eat mazuri by itself and has really started to grow. Heres are some pics of when I first got him.
3/17/13
001Small_zpse1766c18.jpg

4/21/13
44213_zps45f8e61b.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are doing a great job. Change nothing.

Because your tortoise looks so exceptionally good and is clearly thriving under you care, you should share with everyone what your set up and care routine is like. Give us all the details, so we may learn from your success.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's fun seeing the changes that QUICKLY come about with these little ones. Good job keeping a smooth baby!

Urtle

5 Year Member
Yayy! I love to watch their growth. Please continue this thread and keep us updated.

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Thanks for the comments. I think the main reason my sulcata is doing well is because about a month before I bought my sulcata I was already on these forums getting as much info as I could on how to care for it. About a week before I bought my sulcata home I already had the proper setup, with the correct temps, humidity, substrate, and food. For now I keep my tort in a 40g glass tank. I know I should get something bigger (and I will) but a friend let me have that tank for free. To keep the humidity high I had 4 pieces of glass cut at my local hardware store that fit perfectly on top of the tank. This setup I find keeps moisture from evaporating and I never have any issues with low humidity. I use a 150 watt Zoo Med ceramic heat emitter and two reptile heat pads that I place under the tank. I like how the heat pads warm my torts belly. I use coco substrate and use enough so that its about 4 inches deep in my tank. I use a plastic shoe box for a humid hide. When my tort goes in his humid hide he will semi bury himself in the coco substrate. I feed my tort a variety of food and keep food available at all times. I feed him greens, weeds, grasses, spring mix as well as mazuri and zoo med natural grassland tortoise food. I like to chop up the greens, weeds, grasses and sometimes Ill mix it with damp zoo med tortoise food. My tort loves mazuri and has recently started to eat it by itself. I feed him mazuri 3 or 4 times a week by itself. My tort wont eat the zoo med tortoise food by itself, I have to mix it into his greens in order for him to eat it. I also built a outdoor enclosure for my tort to get some sun, graze and get some exercise.

Heres a closeup picture of the top of my tank. The glass makes it easy to maintain high humidity. Notice how water evaporates to the top and drops back down similar to rain.

001-1_zps117b5eff.jpg

heres the outdoor enclosure I built for my tort.

016_zpsda32b0ea.jpg

This is the type of heat pad I use. I like these better than the zoo med heat pads. I use 2 under my torts tank. When I soak my tort I place the container hes soaking in on top of this pad to keep the water warm.

002-1_zps030e8733.jpg

I let weeds grow in a section of my front lawn to feed my tort. I used to hate weeds, now I love them.

005-1_zps7b15f801.jpg

more weeds and grass
006_zpsd917a239.jpg

JayTyler

5 Year Member
Looks great! Just got my baby sulcata the other day, can't wait to watch him grow!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I like the glass top idea...that would really boost the humidity. Well...back to the drawing board! I'd like to see a new pic of your sulcata. I'd also like to see your entire enclosure...I have no doubt that it's close to (if not) 100% humidity in there!

Sinyo

5 Year Member
wow that's such smooth shell
how long you put you baby sully indoor and how long he stay outdoor for exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.