New owner from Wichita Falls Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy

5 Year Member
Hello, I am or will be a new owner of a Sulcata baby tortoise as of next Tuesday or Wednesday. Here in Wichita Falls they have Natures Half Acres and they have them for around 160.00 but I'd made a decision on getting one from Florida that raises them to sell, it is called Turtle Shack. I have a 30 gallon long tank for time being to house the young one in however will need to go out before getting it to set up his habitate, this is my 50th Birthday present from my daughters and wife. I'm not sure if the Turtle Shack is a good place to order one from, however they have a warrantee, if any other suggestions on where to get one from please let me know. The Tortoise is supposed to be 2-3 inches and will receive it over night it will come out to about 140.00 altogether 109.00 for Tortoise and 24.00 for overnight FED EX or UPS shipping. I was thinking about going to walmart and getting the 150 watt metal shop lamps that have a clamp on them for the UV light and the heat light, also will need to get the substrate and the thermometer. Any suggestions on what to buy to get set up will be very much appreciated. I am excited about this and I think my 8 and 12 year old daughters are more excited. Have a large back yard that is full of clover and other weeds to take it out and graze. Any suggestions on the hay, food or anyother items needed would be awesome. Thank you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay! Looks like I finally got it to approve your thread. :rolleyes: :D Thanks for being so patient! Officially welcome to the forum. What a nice birthday gift. While I am thinking of it Happy Birthday!! :tort:
I have had no actual experience with Turtleshack myself and I would have recommended somebody else. ;) Word of caution, do not trust the clamps, they sometimes fail. :( Make certain to use two ways to secure those lights just for safety sake. Another problem with the clamp, is often they make the light shine at an angle not straight down.

I would suggest going to the sulcata section and reading the sulcata hatchling thread at the very top for some general ideas and places to start, then as you go along you can adjust it as you and your little guy need to. Most folks seem to start hatchlings with a base of Spring mix along with safe weeds. Might also add a little Mazuri to the diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Sonja215

5 Year Member
Portsmouth, VA
Welcome to the forum Randy! I'm pretty new here myself and I too received a tort hatchling from Turtle Shack for my birthday. My first little guy didn't make it. I received a new guy/gal about three weeks ago and he's older and doing great. If you do one thing, read their return/guarantee policy. 7 days life guarantee, if anything is wrong you have to contact them within 7 days and make sure you either talk to someone or get an automatic email response. That's your proof you contacted them. If you gave any questions you can message me. I also commented in the tort marketplace forum on my experience on Turtle Shack.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D HAPPY BIRTHDAY:D CONGRATS:D Pay attention to the threads on this forum on the way to raise your new little baby. The best advice is on TFO and in my opinion, no place else. Good luck and post some pics when you get him/her.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I do have experience with turtleshack and honestly would NOT recommend them!!! There are many fine breeders on this site with beauties at a much better cost ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow.. lots of new members and sulcata owners... :) :)
I cant stress enough to read read read the info here and not in older books or pet store info..
Id also recommend a juvenile tort for a first time owner.. one that is over the hatchling Hump so to speak and is on its way to a healthy life.
Not srue you can change that or not... if not... read read and ask lots of questions.. it will seem overwhelming and there is not One way to do it right..
Welcome to the family.. we are happy you are here.

proudairbornemom

5 Year Member
Hi you are in my neck of the woods. I am new on here also. But not new to torts. I have had had my sulcata male for going on 11 years my husband says 14. lol we have both had cancer could be twenty. Lmao.
You are only 35 -40 min away from us we are in Duncan ok. Good luck with your new baby. I am hoping to get a new baby one day also I want a Aldabra. Been wanting one for years. If I keep asking I may break him down yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.