New outdoor enclosure + Is this safe?

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Built this last week but wanted to wait for the seeds to start growing a little before I posted pics. It's 20ft by 3ft. It was 80 in las vegas today so the torts got to finally use it :)
Also pics at the end are of weeds on the side of my house I've been letting grow out.... does anyone know what they are but more importantly if they're safe for feeding, flowers and all...... I know the red-ish clover is but not the tall green weeds boy are they big! Thanks guys!
(sorry pics are sideways?)

garden 1.jpg
garden 2.jpg
garden 3.jpg
garden 4.jpg
garden 5.jpg
weeds1.jpg
weeds2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure about that red clover. The other weeds are fine. I'm not sure I can see them all in the one pics, but the weeds that are growing the yellow flowers and cottony tufts are good tortoise food. Blow those tufts all over your yard and enclosure and try to grow more. :)

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
I'm not sure about that red clover. The other weeds are fine. I'm not sure I can see them all in the one pics, but the weeds that are growing the yellow flowers and cottony tufts are good tortoise food. Blow those tufts all over your yard and enclosure and try to grow more. :)

Thats a good idea... thank you :) yea thats literally the only weed growing that I was suspicious about.....I seriously have enough to fill 5 garbage cans at the moment but I'm sure it will be gone sooner than later.... I'm glad it's safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GARBAGE CANS?!! NOOOOO! That's good tortoise food. Water and care for that stuff. Don't let it die off and you'll be able to feed it out, along with other stuff, for weeks or months.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:
Blow those tufts all over your yard and enclosure and try to grow more. :)

:shy: whew! I'm not the only one that does this?! LOL
Just this morning the kids and I were blowing dandelion and sow thistle seeds all over the yard :D

20'x3' isn't bad. I have a 20'x6' area next to a block wall, too. My wall is south facing so in the warmer months the 3ft closest to the wall is in complete shade. The rest of the year the entire 6ft is in shade. What direction does your wall face?

I saw the leopard but what is the other tort housed in there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That red clover-like plant with the yellow flowers is a type of oxalis. Don't feed it or encourage its growth.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
OMG i would never throw it away thats why I've been growing it out! sorry haha I was just using the garbage cans as a comparison to how much there is... i couldn't think of anything else at the time haha. It is facing I believe west..... the sun is a problem and like an idiot didn't realize it when planning... the sun is only there from 10am to 1pm but this may be good since vegas gets hott hott!

The clover has been eaten a few times and I havent seen any ill effects thank god! It grows all over vegas so I'll def try to pull all of it :( its everywhere but thankfully not in their enclosure. Thanks for the heads up!!!

That is a sulcata tortoise in there. I house all my tortoises separately even my two sulcatas are housed separately and so far I've let them share the outdoor enclosure I've made but at different times so same enclosure but their never together if that makes sense....[/u]