New Outdoor Area

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Hubby came home yesterday with some lumber! We are starting the outside enclosure for Pickles & Crusher.. they are each getting a 5’x10’ area.. I have been googling all sorts of ideas and I’m leaving Lowe’s now! Im not “artsy/craftsy” at all but I really want this to be nice.... I’m so excited! Let me clarify that they will not be living outside yet, only visiting:)

Attachments

• IMG_8157.jpg
    IMG_8157.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8161.jpg
    IMG_8161.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 85

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Just a heads up, I think the cedar mulch is on the do not use list. I could be wrong but I believe it is not a good substrate.

What were you planning on using for the enclosure walls?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Just a heads up, I think the cedar mulch is on the do not use list. I could be wrong but I believe it is not a good substrate.

What were you planning on using for the enclosure walls?

The walls will be 2”x10”x10’ lumber

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hubby came home yesterday with some lumber! We are starting the outside enclosure for Pickles & Crusher.. they are each getting a 5’x10’ area.. I have been googling all sorts of ideas and I’m leaving Lowe’s now! Im not “artsy/craftsy” at all but I really want this to be nice.... I’m so excited! Let me clarify that they will not be living outside yet, only visiting:)

Looks lovely! Return cedar (it’s toxic). People seem to use cypress instead, for instance. Can’t wait to see the result! :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Happy to help. My Lowes doesn't carry Cypress so I had to settle for the shredded hardwood bark for my purposes

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy to help. My Lowes doesn't carry Cypress so I had to settle for the shredded hardwood bark for my purposes

I have some cypress at home that I had bought before I put the orchid bark in their indoor enclosures but I didn’t think it would be enough so I was just gonna add a couple bags.. I’m very notorious for not paying attention to details when I’m on a roll.. I even smelled the cedar smell and it did not dawn on me..

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I am planning on building a hydraulic lift lid for protection but it will need to be very light weight due to the size.. haven’t decided exactly how I’m going to construct it yet..

Bambam1989

East Texas
I see you have some zinnias in your cart... Clunker loves the leaves.
Don't forget about possible pesticides that may be on the plants, if your torts eat it they may become sick. I like to wait a year before offering perennials and just start my annuals from seeds.
You can by vegetable plants and herb plants, they would be safer because the grower knows they could be consumed. Squash plants are great since they grow fast! Maybe some basil and cilantro?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My problem is, I can’t even keep a cactus alive..[emoji20] so my plans are to place these but to put some rubber stripping around them so that the babies can’t access them right now. They won’t be staying out but a couple hours a day at most this year... so by next year, the pen should be well “rooted” I hope and safe for them as well.. i just wanted to get it going and be prepared for their growth:) it took me forever in Lowe’s because I had to type everything in the tortoise table plus google the care.. I have NO luck with plants.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Y’all think that will be safe for them by next year?

daniellenc

Maryland
It has begun [emoji16]
Awesome keep this updated! Next year i have to redo mine to make it bigger. Just a thought for you because by next year they’ll need a lot more room. I wish I had gone larger last year and just blocked it off.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Awesome keep this updated! Next year i have to redo mine to make it bigger. Just a thought for you because by next year they’ll need a lot more room. I wish I had gone larger last year and just blocked it off.

Good point.. I have put this in an area where I should just be able to expand.. I used screws so I can take out one board and grow.. we also planned to be able to stack higher for the heights. I think I’ve decided against any type of lid and I’m just going to do a garden fence around the whole enclosure area...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Here’s my progress so far.. I will be adding corner covers.. and probably changing it repeatedly as I go.. ideas / suggestions are welcome.. my husband dug the grass out of another part of the yard so it is safe from any pesticides or fertilizers and the little plants will be blocked for this year..