Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum!
My name is Jeanette and I just recently purchased a red footed tortoise.
I do have some questions regarding care for the tortoise.
First off, this tortoise looks like it has some pyramiding going on and is 3 years old i am told.
What to do/not to do.
Should this type of tortoise be on a diet with hay, fruits, veggies?
What types of lights are best?
Best substrate?
Temperatures?
haha, i have lots of work to do!
I will hopefully be able to upload a picture of what he/she looks like.

Thanks in advance all!

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
Hi!

I am in Ontario, Canada! Any other Canadians out here? :)
I spent a good hour and a bit looking through many posts on here for redfoots after i posted that post.
Wow, lots of great information here!
I am glad there is a place like this for people to talk! I have read lots of contradicting information on the website and it's nice to know what real people are doing with their torts. I understand that a little bit of something works for everyone and not everyone is going to care for their red foots the same, but it's really nice to learn what works/doesn't work.
I will try to post some pictures for sure, because like i said, i am sure that the shell of this one is definitely not the best.
Not many things i know how the woman took care of the tortoise before i got him yesterday, but i know that he was on hay and he looks kinda dry. I am thinking that his humidity levels were not being met... probably to name a few.

Thanks for the welcome again!

Jeanette

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
Alrighty, so here is my new baby! only got him/her three days ago!

Attachments

• DSCF6626.JPG
    DSCF6626.JPG
    952.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF6623.JPG
    DSCF6623.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
[/align][align=right]
I just picked up a Russian tortoise as well! I found this man bascially giving him away on the internet so i bought him because the tortoise wasn't in the nicest of homes. The man says he is about 3 years old, living in a tank that i think is too small (35 gal but it's so tall), his shell looks okay and he does enjoy eating!

I might like to add, that because I now have two tortoises (red foot and russian), and i know their care of temperatures are different, i was thinking that I could put one of their pond tubs ontop of the others using some sort of piping so they have room between them. I shall post pictures soon of that.

I have attached a picture of what the tortoise looks like now and what he is currently in.

Attachments

• DSCF6621.JPG
    DSCF6621.JPG
    818 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF6618.JPG
    DSCF6618.JPG
    740.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF6619.JPG
    DSCF6619.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D :D :D I see we are a bit late on warning you Jeanette that owning a tortoise is like eating Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one. :D Welcome to TFO and to tortoises in general. Your red-footed has a nice bright head. :) So what caused you to develop an interest in tortoises?

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
I had sulcatas 2 years back and it absoutely broke my heart because i had to rehome them because my husband and i didn't buy a house that we were playing on. I had the dream of buying a house that would have a tortoise barn, with outside access. When I had my sulcatas, they were outside all the time in the summer and were very heathly. Now we are living in an apt. I have wanted another tortoise that is smaller for sometime now, and it just so happened that two came up around here. I am planning on getting some tortoise friendly enclosures for my tortoise to be put out on the balcony, i get alot of sun in the summer.
As I have read many of these posts on here, lots of people recommend putting tortoises outside. You know what, my sulcatas were outside dusk to dawn in the summer and showed no signs of pyramiding and were so active and loved eating the grass. I absoultey agree with having them outside, carefully, but outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.