Status
Not open for further replies.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Hello there, I live in Southern Spain and have done for 10 years now having retired here from the UK. I have 2 young Leopards (5 years old) I´ve had them since September,bought from a pet shop. I have a table for them for nightime or rainy days (very few of those here!) and during the day they are outside. I´ve made a lawn for them which should be ready for use in a couple of months. They eat grass and weeds and flowers which I have plenty of on our finca. www.cactusinspain.com

Val

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Val! Are these your first tortoises? :tort:

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome Val! Are these your first tortoises? :tort:
Thankyou.
I had a sulcata 3 or 4 years ago but a stray dog I brought back to life managed to get into his enclosure and killed him. This dog has since died so Frankel (named after a famous racehorse due to his speed when sniffing a favourite food!) and Julie should be quite safe. I´m not sure if they are male and female. What would be a good,normal weight and length for Leopards of 5 years of age? When I bought them in September they both measured 12.5 cms in length. Now, Frankel measures 15 cms and Julie is 13.7 cms. Frankel weighed in at 522gms and now weighs 747gms while Julie weighed 473 and now weighs 525gms. They have both fluctuated over the weeks and some days they don´t eat very much but most days they eat very well. I soak them in warm water before they have their morning feed and sometimes they lie in the water for half an hour and sometimes they don´t want to be in it at all but usually they like to soak. I also give them a bath in the evening as well when I bring them in from outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Val:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You retired from the UK to Spain and opened a cactus/succulent business? Cactus and succulents were my especial hobby prior to the tortoises, and I have quite a few different varieties. Some can live in the ground (and withstand our cold winters) but most are in pots and have to be brought into the green house every winter.

I'd truly love to see pictures of your tortoises, their habitat and your cacti.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Val!

Pics, Pics, Pics....

Did I mention we like pics?

How big was the Sulcata _vs_ Dog? I cant imagine WalkingRock having ANY problems with a dog of any size! (then again... he out weighs MOST of them!)

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum Val!

Pics, Pics, Pics....

Did I mention we like pics?

How big was the Sulcata _vs_ Dog? I cant imagine WalkingRock having ANY problems with a dog of any size! (then again... he out weighs MOST of them!)

Hi. I´m afraid my sulcata was quite small and the dog was the size of a house.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
YEP! That would do it! sorry for your loss :( But now you got 2 Leopards! ;) WHAT FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.