New member with young Redfoot

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Another update after 2 weeks of treatment. Abclements, I think you are correct about the black also being fungus, as that seems to be fading/clearing up as well.

He gained several grams, this morning his weight was 76.7g.

I have come across some varying info about offering protein for torts this age (3 months) as to how often, or if at all. If it is indeed a good idea to offer it at this stage, is once a month sufficient, or would that need to be more often?

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks great! Personally, a little protein won't hurt, I'm sure they eat plenty of bugs in the wild while they hunker down and grow to a safer size. If you're going to use an animal protein, maybe just once a month till 6-7 months. But if you plan to use Mazuri once a week would be fine.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
CharlieD said:
Another update after 2 weeks of treatment. Abclements, I think you are correct about the black also being fungus, as that seems to be fading/clearing up as well.

He gained several grams, this morning his weight was 76.7g.

I have come across some varying info about offering protein for torts this age (3 months) as to how often, or if at all. If it is indeed a good idea to offer it at this stage, is once a month sufficient, or would that need to be more often?

I am reading all kinds of mixed info about protein also. I just dont know what to do.... Do we give them protein or not? Mine is 2 months old.

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
3 Week Update. I am still treating daily with the fungus cream, but if I should change that at all, please let me know.

77.6 grams this morning.

I finished my closed chamber over the weekend and should have him moved within the next few days. It is 2.5' x 5 and I'm using cypress mulch so it should be easier to maintain a dry upper layer.

jdelagarza001- personally for protein, I am going to stick with offering once a month.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Looking great! I can't see any more fungus in the pics. If that's the case, I'd stop the fungus treatment. 3 weeks is plenty long. The move to the closed chamber is a perfect time to stop the treatment because the substrate is brand new.