new - looking for help

paradise4ever

What's the best to use in a Sulcata Tortoise tank? I currently have calcium substrate for my six month old Sulcata. He's been sick for about a month so I'm looking for ways to improve his habitat. This little guy has to have daily shots...No real appetite, shell is soft.... feeding him in a chore, his doctor has him on baby food at the moment....it gets easier...right?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What's the best to use in a Sulcata Tortoise tank? I currently have calcium substrate for my six month old Sulcata. He's been sick for about a month so I'm looking for ways to improve his habitat. This little guy has to have daily shots...No real appetite, shell is soft.... feeding him in a chore, his doctor has him on baby food at the moment....it gets easier...right?

Paradise. I think u should start a new thread under the sulcata section with ur questions. While you do this, check out the care sheets for Sulcata, i think there is a lot of good informstion for you regarding the care of your sulcata, including your substrate, temperatures, humidity levels, soakings, etc.

paradise4ever

Paradise. I think u should start a new thread under the sulcata section with ur questions. While you do this, check out the care sheets for Sulcata, i think there is a lot of good informstion for you regarding the care of your sulcata, including your substrate, temperatures, humidity levels, soakings, etc.
Thank you very much!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paradise4ever, and welcome to the Forum!

Sorry to say, that it would have been easier if you had started caring for the tortoise the right way, right off the bat. Good thing you have found the forum because it sounds like your little guy is in need of some help.

Start by reading the care sheet at the top of the sulcata section, and make any changes to your habitat according to that care sheet. Stop using that calci-sand right away, and go by what the care sheet tells you.

This is a pretty desperate situation, so do your best to make changes as soon as you can afford to. Your baby's life depends upon it.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

paradise4ever

Thanks for the help. I admit I should have done my research first...he was given to me and I didn't understand how extremely important certain things are. I have done a lot of reading and get alot of conflicting information...one says use the sand, one doesn't. One says humidity, etc.... long story short, I love this little guy and want what's best for him...happy and healthy. I've had him since he was one month old and he did great the first five months. What I have learned, among many things is finding the right doctor first, before owning is very important. I appreciate the help.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You think he was doing fine but he was slowing getting worse.

Is your vet an exotic vet or a standard one? I ask because a lot of regular vets don't know much about them and give you outdated information.

Look around the site and see threads from the user named Tom. He's been raising them for don't in like 20 years so anything with his name on it is good info

I'm glad you found this site. The the best place to get tort information and just about everyone here will help if they can. Post some pics of his home so we can help get it on the right track.

paradise4ever

Ok, I'll get rid of the sand. I have read the care sheets and make adjustments tomorrow. How do I get the humidity in the tank?

M

Maggie Cummings

don't use a spiral bulb. Soak him daily in strained carrots, in the sun daily, feed dark leafy greens....

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Ok, I'll get rid of the sand. I have read the care sheets and make adjustments tomorrow. How do I get the humidity in the tank?

By keeping your sub straight moist and keeping the basking light at the correct temps. Too low of a temp will make him sick and to high of a temp will dry out the sub straight too quickly and not build up humidity.

What is the humidity level of the room? You will need to take another look at the care sheet to see what humidity level to keep yours at but humidity plays a very important roll in Health and shell growth. My tort need to be kept at 80-90% humidity so I have a closed chamber and hold constant humidity like a cigar box.

paradise4ever

I'm not sure that his doctor is the right one..but finding one that is good when it comes to Sulcatas isn't easy. I left the first doctor who gave him antibiotics to go to the second who said he specializes in reptile care, he seems a little better. If you guys know anything about meds please let me know if this is doing more harm than good. He gets daily injections of the following... 3 cc calcium. 5 cc dextrose 20 cc lactate ringers(not sure, doctor writing) plus ....1 cc naxcel , 1cc b12.all in one injection