New little leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I just bought a young leopard tortoise from a breeder yesterday and I am picking it up tomorrow. I already have Flash and I would like to put it in the same enclosure as Flash. I was wondering how to introduce them? This is my second tortoise so I have never done this before and I am wondering what I should do. Any help is apprecaited.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to quarantine them for at least 3 months. During that time I usually take a couple fecal samples from both tortoises to be examined by the vet.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
How young is the new one? Since Flash is over 1 1/2 years old there could be a big size difference if it's a hatchling.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortus said:
How young is the new one? Since Flash is over 1 1/2 years old there could be a big size difference if it's a hatchling.

The new one is 8-9 months old so its not too much younger. Do you always have to keep them seperate for a few months?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
be prepared to ahve 2 enclosures. they may not get along either..
yes, they should be seperate for a few months. Ideally...

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Laura said:
be prepared to ahve 2 enclosures. they may not get along either..
yes, they should be seperate for a few months. Ideally...

I have bought a hide for the new one that Flash can not fit into so it has somewhere to go if Flash does bother it. I also have a seperate food dish so i can feed them seperately to make sure that one is eating and not getting bullied out of food

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It is best to keep them separate just in case the new one has any issues from the breeder which may make Flash sick. If you can't keep them separate for some reason, then watch them both carefully for any signs of illness.

You can keep them together eventually, especially if they are close in size. You have to watch for bullying and make sure both get plenty of food and water. If one becomes dominant, it will take the other's food and cause problems. You will have to separate them if that happens. I have three adults that live together nicely, so it is possible to have a firendly little leopard family. :D

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Greg T said:
It is best to keep them separate just in case the new one has any issues from the breeder which may make Flash sick. If you can't keep them separate for some reason, then watch them both carefully for any signs of illness.

You can keep them together eventually, especially if they are close in size. You have to watch for bullying and make sure both get plenty of food and water. If one becomes dominant, it will take the other's food and cause problems. You will have to separate them if that happens. I have three adults that live together nicely, so it is possible to have a firendly little leopard family. :D

I do plan on getting a third leopard tortoise, I just want to make sure this one works out first before I add another one. A lot of people have told me they do better as a trio then a pair. I have seperate food dish for the new one and I always sit with Flash while he eats and I still soak flash but not every day anymore. I now soak him every other day and he drinks a lot during that time and from his dish in his enclosure. I will be soaking the new one everyday for a while until I notice that it is drinking water from the dish.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Out of curiosity, what kind of diet do you feed Flash?

I have not noticed mine drinking. It may be drinking during the soak when its head is down but I don't really see it. I've been giving it some saturated Mazuri every day so I think it's getting all the water it needs from that. Mazuri gets fairly heavy when soaked for a few minutes in warm water.

Good luck with your new baby! Sounds like you'll do fine.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortus said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of diet do you feed Flash?

I have not noticed mine drinking. It may be drinking during the soak when its head is down but I don't really see it. I've been giving it some saturated Mazuri every day so I think it's getting all the water it needs from that. Mazuri gets fairly heavy when soaked for a few minutes in warm water.

Good luck with your new baby! Sounds like you'll do fine.

I feed Flash the mazuri soaked every day and spring mix from the organic grocery store. Also I buy different fresh leafy greens from there too for some variety. Sometimes I mix some grassland tortoise food with his mazuri. Also I give him blended catus pads, it looks gross but he loves it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm still trying to get mine to eat cactus pads. I guess I'll try blending them and mixing with something else. But on their own, chopped, sliced, or whatever, it won't touch them. It looked at a big pad once with curiosity when I held it up, but it wouldn't try to eat it.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortus said:
I'm still trying to get mine to eat cactus pads. I guess I'll try blending them and mixing with something else. But on their own, chopped, sliced, or whatever, it won't touch them. It looked at a big pad once with curiosity when I held it up, but it wouldn't try to eat it.

Yeah Flash was the same but then someone told me to blend them and since then he loves them.

Status
Not open for further replies.