New Leopard coming this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie89

5 Year Member
leoparddd.jpgLeopard.jpgHi guys. So I'm new around here and posted an intro in the "intro" thread but have a few questions.

I am getting a Leopard, found him off craigslist from a guy who no longer has time to care for him. I was and am really excited because I've been wanting a Leopard for so long but did not want a hatching and the juveniles seem harder to come by and are A LOT more expensive.

My first question would be is the pyramiding on this tort bad? Doesn't seem to noticeable to me but I'm not the expert. Does his size look normal for his age?

Also, I've read so many mixed things on diet and D3 supplements just wondering what the majority of you guys do in that regard.

I've read most of the care sheets on here so I think I have a pretty good idea of what lies a head but any other heads up or pointers I'm all ears.

Oh and I'm planning on keeping the little guy inside the majority of the time, and I'm in Orlando Florida. I'm picking him up on Sunday. (And i'm saying him but I really have no clue lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
He's so cute ! I think for pyramiding You should've taken the picture landscape to give us a better view of the shell but anyways he looks quite healthy make sure you give him a good diet and provide him with a good enclosure

I <3 my torts!

Also, for dietary supplements like vitimans and D3 consider using a dust you get them quite expensive but they do last for quite a long time and they should be sprinkled on food 2-3 times a week for hatchlings and everyday for an adult tortoise also make sure to leave a cuttlefish bone so it can regulate its intake of calcium

I <3 my torts!

Eddie89

5 Year Member
rocky1998 said:
He's so cute ! I think for pyramiding You should've taken the picture landscape to give us a better view of the shell but anyways he looks quite healthy make sure you give him a good diet and provide him with a good enclosure

I <3 my torts!

Also, for dietary supplements like vitimans and D3 consider using a dust you get them quite expensive but they do last for quite a long time and they should be sprinkled on food 2-3 times a week for hatchlings and everyday for an adult tortoise also make sure to leave a cuttlefish bone so it can regulate its intake of calcium

I <3 my torts!

Thank you. And these are just the pictures off of Craigslist from the seller. I haven't seen the tort yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats, not a bad looking leopard. The pyramiding is not bad. Get him some humidity and I will start to grow in smoother. Also, D3, I would not give it if you can get him out in the sun alot. Otherwise, 1-2 times a month should be enough. Too much D3 is bad. Regular calcium without D3 can be give 1-2 times a week and also give a cuttle bone for him to use when he feels he needs more calcium. Read Toms threads below, they are more for hatchlings, but will give you an idea. The sulcata ones apply also.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome and congrats! He looks pretty good with minimal pyramiding that will smooth out over time if kept in good conditions. Be careful when you go and take a friend if you can just to be safe. You didn't mention what he's asking for it, but I bought two of mine about the same size at 2 years old, one for $150 and one for $225. Juveniles are much easier to care for if you are a first timer.

Living in Florida, you should get him outside as much as possible. As long as you can get him a few hours of sunlight along with a good diet, you don't need to supplement with calcium, but it doesn't hurt either.

Eddie89

5 Year Member
Greg T said:
Welcome and congrats! He looks pretty good with minimal pyramiding that will smooth out over time if kept in good conditions. Be careful when you go and take a friend if you can just to be safe. You didn't mention what he's asking for it, but I bought two of mine about the same size at 2 years old, one for $150 and one for $225. Juveniles are much easier to care for if you are a first timer.

Living in Florida, you should get him outside as much as possible. As long as you can get him a few hours of sunlight along with a good diet, you don't need to supplement with calcium, but it doesn't hurt either.

Yes I will be going with a friend to keep things safe. Also he is charging me 200$. I had to talk him down from 250.

I am thinking I will make a covered pen for him/her to stay outside most of the time during the day and bring him/her in at night to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.