New information website!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yes I understand tom, I really appreciate all the advice too! I'm just worried that this specific tort may have a low tolerance for humidity and that "could" be what triggers it. In all honesty, I have no clue what's going on with him! I have seen the good (the very obvious smooth shell growth) but I cannot see the inside of his lungs :(. I'm very anxious for the vet to get the culture results back.

Tom, I'm just curious about something. The sulcatas are born in the monsoon season, but wouldn't they have to adapt the the dry arid weather when the monsoon season is over? And they would be in the burrow less and less when they grow older? Does this sound about right?

They don't adapt in real time within the life of an individual, as in evolutionary adaptation. They do constantly seek what they need in terms of environment. Most, and it can be argued 95% to 100% from each cohort (any one year's neonates/hatchlings) don't survive. Those that do have found those few places where all the requirements of life are met. As people who breed and grow tortoises we come to expect a much higher survival rate, as we put a great deal of effort in to their care. We can learn much from the winners from the wild, but you have to stop and consider the losers too. Most don't make it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
High humidity at 80f + is not likely your direct problem with the RI, however, high humidity can increase both bacterial and mold growth - both which can cause health problems. You cannot see bacteria, of course, but you cannot always see certain types of mold spores either. Some are very toxic.
If I were you, I would do a sanitizing cleaning of the enclosure, take everything out, and with a 1:10 bleach solution clean all the surfaces, top included. . Clean the water dish, rocks, everything. Change the substrata to fresh, Let it air out for a day, keep tort in a Rubbermaid container or something, - then put torts back in.
It couldn't hurt, and it might help.
Here, think of the black mold found in older homes of the U.S. No one knew why folks were getting lung sickness for years. Then the inner walls were found to be putting off all manner of very toxic mold spores looking for new homes, and those homes happen to be human lungs. Full containment suits are required while cleaning those houses. I use a mix of organic peat moss and organic, no manure top soil for my substrate. Peat moss is acidic and won't allow the growth of microorganisms. That said, I still need to keep up on cleansing the enclosure proper. Can't hurt to give it a try. Just remember, if you can still smell bleach, it needs more airing out or rinsing to be safe. Hope this helps while not further complicating.