New Horsefield tortoise isn't eating

Holly Simpson

12080735_10154252648248696_586448249_n.jpg Hi everyone,
I'm really starting to worry now as I got my horsefield tortoise 8 days ago, and hes still not eating or pooing. I spoke to the pet shop who seem to be giving me conflicting advice, so I'll post all the details on here to see if anyone can help, I'll also post a photo of the enclosure as it is at the moment to see if there's anything I need to change (bear in mind I will be getting him a bigger enclosure once he's settled and healthy, but he's only 1 year old at the moment so quite small:
- Firstly what I've been putting down to feed him daily: dandelions, clover, nettles, red peppers to encourage him to eat, green leaves, etc. But he's not touched anything.
-I bathe him daily in lukewarm water for about 10-15 minutes, he lies in it and closes his eyes, I think he drinks a bit but not sure.
-Temperatures during the day are about 85-90F in his hot spot, and in the rest of the enclosure the temperature stays between 70-80F. At night the temperature never falls below 65F when all heat sources are off. But I've noticed he only stays under the hot spot for about 10 minutes or so at a time, then he burrows himself in the soil I have put down quite deep for him (I read they like to burrow). I have the lamps on from about 8am-7pm.
-On one side of the enclosure I have put herbifloor down, and deep soil in the other half.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm really worried that I'm not looking after him as I should and I'm trying really hard to get it right!
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, that's a terribly small habitat for a Russian tortoise. I imagine he's very stressed, first from being moved from where he was used to being, and second due to the smallness of the enclosure.

Talk to the pet store and find out what they've been offering as food. You should also offer that type food. Then slowly wean him onto a better diet.

Youngsters need to be kept warmer at night, but not quite as warm as during the day. A slight drop for night time is ok, like maybe down to 70F. And I wouldn't be using alfalfa pellets for substrate because you can't moisten them. I like orchid bark.

Most tortoises don't take well to being moved. Give him some time to settle in and hopefully he'll come around. In the meantime, read our Russian tortoise care sheet that's pinned at the top of our Russian tortoise section.