New Home Suggestions

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
So, as some of you know from my posting in "enclosures" yesterday, Tank broke out of his pen. Normally I let him out at least every other day if not daily to roam the yard. I had been working 12-16 hr shifts, 4 days in a row and I guess he got bored. Busted right through the iron fence to go for a walk.
I knew his temporary enclosure was definitely temporary. I've been planning to turn my garden into a better spot for him once we harvest. It's overrun with sedge grass. He LOVES to go in there.
So, I'm posting some pics in hopes that you guys can give me suggestions on how to do this right!
The first pic is taken from the second floor of my house and you can see Tank in the upper right outside of the garden for reference to his size vs. the area.
Should I plant more shade trees? Should I dig a burrow? What kinds of things should I put in there to keep him entertained? What is the best material to use to keep him in and safe! I plan to build a "house" for him in there and need suggestions on that as well.
Help?

Attachments

• Tank18.jpg
    Tank18.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Tank16.jpg
    Tank16.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 58

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You have the post in the ground already . I would get some r panel and screw to the post from the inside . R panel is used for metal roofs . It come 42" wide and how ever long you have your sheet metal company cut it. I used it on my red foots enclosure .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is a picture of the enclosure.

Attachments

• 1401746527180.jpg
    1401746527180.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1401746551929.jpg
    1401746551929.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are the post cemented in? If not, I would do that and then put up,solid boards like ALDABRAMAN has around his tort yard. For a hide I would do one of Toms night boxes and bury it into the ground like he does for,his sulcatas. Just suggestions, I don't own a sully. I figure if the boards can hold Greg's Aldabras, they should, fingers crossed, hold a sully. Another way you can do it is cinder block wall. You can also see how this is done in some of Toms threads. He might have some good suggestions too. Paging @Tom :D

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Thanks! The posts are not cemented and are probably not going to be used, I don't think so anyway. I'm probably tearing all that down and starting from scratch. Might even extend to the right, as there is plenty of room. Luckily, my hubby is in construction and has equipment and "know-how" to do lots of things. I kinda wanted to put up horizontal fence planks, with a bit of space between them so he can see out. I am well aware of the concern that if he can see out, he will want to bust out, as he did, but isn't it possible to make it strong enough that way? Somehow? I just don't like the idea of him feeling so "enclosed". I'm hoping with so much room and a happy spot, he'll be less likely to break out. IF he does break out he breaks out into my fenced, secure 1/2 acre backyard… which I would just let him roam (and he does frequently, supervised) except that there's a pool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't want him to be able to see out. That is the whole point. The grass is always greener on the other side and they often injure themselves trying to get to it. A visual barrier will prevent this. You only need to go 16" or 24" high. See how the lattice work is strung between the upright posts in your yard? Just replace the lattice with solid plywood or planks. Sounds like your hubby will know just how to do this.

Here are some night box threads for inspiration. Show them to hubby and see what he comes up with. I am an amateur, self-taught builder, so I would love to see what a pro comes up with.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

There are several heating strategies shown here for you. The last thread is my favorite way to do it, but also the most difficult.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
There are several heating strategies shown here for you. The last thread is my favorite way to do it, but also the most difficult.

Questions for Tom (or anyone else)

Where I live, the summer temps are as high as 110 degrees on a really hot day. In July and August especially. Right now we're in the 80s-high 90's. At night 75-85.
It's hot here.
In the winter time, 75% of the time it's 60's and sunny. Occasionally we get a "cold front" of 40's. May last 3-4 days. In February, we may get a freeze or two to the low 30's, but those are rare and short lived.
So, out of the whole year, there's maybe a total of 2-3 weeks spent below 60 degrees, the majority of the time it's 90's and 100's.
His previous "person" said she never brought him in. Even during the "freeze", she said he'd just go down in his 6 ft burrow and stay there.
No form of "heating" has ever been used for him.
And, btw our humidity levels here are almost always 100%, we're right by the ocean. Not much I can do about that.
That said, he's lived in these conditions for his entire 17 years.
Of course I want to make him a warm spot in his hide for winter, but I'm more concerned about over heating.

What are your thoughts on how I can improve things considering our climate???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I LOVE the burrow idea but there are four potential problems with burrows:
1. They can collapse.
2. They can flood.
3. Too cold in winter. (Cold compared to where they come from in Africa.)
4. You have no access to the tortoise when they are down there.

The enclosure I made above offers all the benefits of a real burrow, with none of the potentially deadly risks.

Underground in a self dug natural burrow is the BEST way to go for beating summer heat, but I don't like them down there during heavy rain or cold winter nights. I let mine use a real burrow all summer long, but I use a heated night box for winter. This is the best of both worlds in my opinion. I catch mine above ground in the fall, block off the burrow, and they start sleeping in their heated above ground house for winter again. I would be very careful about those few cold nights you spoke of with humidity like that. Its a recipe for sickness. A heated box will prevent your tortoise from falling ill over winter.

Other ways to cool off in summer include misters, sprinklers, soaking pools, shade cloth and lots of bushes and trees.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I LOVE the burrow idea but there are four potential problems with burrows:
1. They can collapse.
2. They can flood.
3. Too cold in winter. (Cold compared to where they come from in Africa.)
4. You have no access to the tortoise when they are down there.

The enclosure I made above offers all the benefits of a real burrow, with none of the potentially deadly risks.

Underground in a self dug natural burrow is the BEST way to go for beating summer heat, but I don't like them down there during heavy rain or cold winter nights. I let mine use a real burrow all summer long, but I use a heated night box for winter. This is the best of both worlds in my opinion. I catch mine above ground in the fall, block off the burrow, and they start sleeping in their heated above ground house for winter again. I would be very careful about those few cold nights you spoke of with humidity like that. Its a recipe for sickness. A heated box will prevent your tortoise from falling ill over winter.

Other ways to cool off in summer include misters, sprinklers, soaking pools, shade cloth and lots of bushes and trees.
Thanks Tom! That gives me better ideas. I think I need more shade trees and maybe a shallow "pond" type thing in there?
The burrow he had at his previous home was self made. He's constantly digging and started a new burrow in the garden last night! Don't know what I can do to prevent that, but maybe a man-made burrow is the solution. Yours is great! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401834996.707495.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I did was start a burrow for them in the spot where I wanted it, vs. letting them choose their own spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look at which way he faced his attempted burrow entrance and match that. I did mine in the middle of the yard away from any walls or structures. Dig a couple of feet down at a 45 degree angle. Make the transition from flat ground into the hole nice and smooth and make it wide enough to fit his whole body plus a little more.

When he starts digging, you will be shocked at how fast he gets deep. Often they wait for the really hot weather to dig down. Mine did anyway. My "Crying Tortoise" book says they can dig the length of their body in three minutes. I believe it.

OH! And please post LOTS of pics so we can all see it happen! Sulcata burrows are a major drawback of this species for some people, but I think its one of the neatest things about them!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
You mean let him dig a burrow? Lol.
He has started 2. Mostly for now he just digs a home to sit in and covers him self in dirt for the night!
His two spots so far are right at the corners of the wooden privacy fence.
I'd like to make him a burrow like Daisy's. Seems a lot safer! Not sure if I can do that in a corner? Lol.
His previous 6 ft deep burrow he'd dug under his Hide. Maybe once we get him into a proper hide, he'll dig there.