New home for my little guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emorales

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So today when I went to buy bedding for Oscar I bought him a new enclosure. He will have lots more room to roam. He's going from a 20" x 12" to a 48" x 12" Will attach pictures of both.

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here are pics, sorry it took so long.

Attachments

• downsized_1004001649.jpg
    downsized_1004001649.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 99
  • downsized_1004001649a.jpg
    downsized_1004001649a.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 76

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you already told us, this old mind has forgotten, but Oscar is a hatchling sulcata?

With all that new room, you will be able to add more and better things for him too! That will be nice. Like a hide or two? What are you using for substrate? From the picture it looks like it might be a bit on the dry side is it?
Perhaps a flat rock or something for him to bask on and help with his nails being wore down? Do you feed him on a tile, a rough dish or what? Generally tell us more about your habitat. What temps you have and such. Is that a UV light or what?

Sorry about all the questionsw. They say a picture is worth a lot of words, but on the other hand, it usually makes me just ask more questions. :D

Now I know Tom will be along and give you the link to his care sheet. Be sure to read it, it will give you lots of great ideas to take this neat new long tank and make it the best it can be for Oscar.

I hope Oscar gets some outside time too. Would hate for him to turn into a grouch. :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Nice upgrade. Post pics when you get it all set up :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As Jacqui predicted: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

It was written for sulcatas, but I can't think of a species that I wouldn't do this with. It working great for my new leopards. I might be careful with a redfoot as they seem to be more prone to shell rot than most. I must admit, that I've only actually done this with sulcatas and now leopards.

New cage will be much better.

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California
He is a hatchling, I have had him since July 2. Yes I deffenitely plan on putting some hides into the new home. Right now I'm using some pellets, but have been reading a lot about humidity on here and am looking to get something that will hold humidity better as it is pretty dry in there. Flat rock sounds like a great idea thank you, I usually just put his food in there and he eats at will then at the end of the day I clean it out. As far as temps Directly under the heat lamp is 111 and then 80 on the cool side but he seems to hang out on the hot side mostly just not directly under the lamp, then at night the warm side is about 76. I do soak him at least 2 or 3 times a day. Yes that is a UV light, but I have also been reading on here that the CFL ones aren't the best so looking into other options there but I also read that having the reflector helps correct the CFL problem. He does get outside time, I take him out and let him run around in the yard following closely enough to keep predators away but not crowding him. Will also be adding a food tile. A question also while I'm here, What do people think about the plantation soil for substrate, and also how about planting his food source in the enclosure? Iam currently growing a seed mix I got from Sulcatafood.com in a pot outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.