New Hingeback update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponypam

5 Year Member
My name is Pam and I posted a couple weeks about about a Hingeback that I found for free on our local Craigslist (I am SE Washington state). I have spent the last 2 weeks learning all I can about this tortoise from this forum and I think things are going well. The first few days I tried making friends, handling him (or her, who knows) often, soaking him, I even took him outside when the weather was nice for walks and worried because he never came out of his shell unless it was real quiet and he had no interest in eating. Then I came upon a post where Redfoot Nerd said to "Leave them alone!". After reading what he had to say he made a lot of sense, so that is what I have done for the past week and a half. Well, long story short, Sherlock is happy, eating (mushrooms are his fav!), loves his hide and seems to be healthy. I haven't taken him in yet for a vet checkup, thought I would let him get settled first and don't know if that would do any good as I am sure he would not show his face. I am attaching some photos taken today. It looks to me like his beak needs filed down, am I right? I would also like some opinions as to what kind he is. My first guess would have been a Homes but sometimes I wonder.

Thanks for this resource. It's great know there are like minds out there.

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Glad he is doing better. I don't handle my hingebacks at all, except for the youngsters. I have some that I do a lot of treat feeding and even feed by hand, but no actual touching. It's funny, I was going to ask to see some pictures showing his rear end, before you even mentioned wondering his species.

If you could take a picture something like this for us please:

001.jpg

His shell sure looks like he has had a bit of a rough life. Looks a tad dry, too. I would leave his beak alone myself. It does not appear it is long enough to cause any problems and the stress is not needed. He seems to be eating just fine with it, right?

Ponypam

5 Year Member
Okay, I had to move him just a bit to get some good side shots but he will be fine. Yes, when I got him he was in on dry soil with lights and a soak but too small for him to actually get into. My thoughts is to leave the beak alone rather than stress him. I have a cuttle bone (but haven't seen him show any interest in it. He doesn't seem to have any trouble eating. Any suggestions for the dry shell besides keeping up the humidy?

Picture 112.jpgPicture 113.jpgPicture 114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
That is a kinixys homeana. The beak should be fine. Continue feeding as you are. Looks like a very nice tortoise.

Ponypam

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
That is a kinixys homeana. The beak should be fine. Continue feeding as you are. Looks like a very nice tortoise.

Great. Thanks! Can't wait to start tempting him with worms.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's always interesting to see who does and does not take to eating worms, so be sure to keep us updated on him.

Ponypam

5 Year Member
Something I forgot to mention, something is wrong with his left hind leg. You can see in the third picture (second set of pictures) showing the rear shell how the leg is out of the shell. He never pulls it all the way in and when the shell is hinged down, it's pinched by the hinge. When he walks, that leg doesn't really extend back as far as the right one, he pushes off with it just a short distance then almost carries it forward. Not sure if its from not having a big enough area or if it was injured at one point. He is able to walk so, again, I am not going to worry about it, I will just keep an eye on that leg. It seems smaller and has a darker color than the right leg and I actually worried it was 'dead' at first.

I was told this tortoise is 7 years old.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Hmmm well atleast he can move it and does use it, even if not "normally". I would keep an eye on it. Would be hard at this point to decide even a really good guess why it's like that. Could be a birth defect, an old injury, the too small enclosure (or being housed on newspaper), lack of calcium or even hydration problems, just to list a few.

I have a young Bells, which I discovered is not having full "normal" usage of her hind leg. Along with making sure she is one a good diet, I make it so she has to work to get around. Like she has lots of flat rocks and small branches to climb over. I take her outside (during good weather) to rougher terrain trying to get all the muscles used that I can.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Good to know that you tortoise is doing better, thanks for the update ;)

Did you ever get a chance to read this?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Home-s-Hingeback-Tortoise#axzz1mUW8ebk4

Something else I wanted to point out - your little guy has no nuchal scute ;) Most do. I have only seen one other that does not, and that is one of my males. I have a sneaking suspicion that those with no nuchal have a bit of Kinixys erosa blood in them. just something I find interesting!

Ponypam

5 Year Member
That was what I was thinking when I took it out for a 'walk' the first few days, a chance for it to exercise the weak leg. Now I have a flat stone in his enclosure for him to climb up on. When I set up the outdoor enclosure outside I will be sure and make some hills and rough terrain to have to climb over.

Kristina said:
Good to know that you tortoise is doing better, thanks for the update ;)

Did you ever get a chance to read this?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Home-s-Hingeback-Tortoise#axzz1mUW8ebk4

Something else I wanted to point out - your little guy has no nuchal scute ;) Most do. I have only seen one other that does not, and that is one of my males. I have a sneaking suspicion that those with no nuchal have a bit of Kinixys erosa blood in them. just something I find interesting!

Yes, I previously read your article, thought it was great and I will continue to refer to it. Interesting what you say about the nuchal scute. So, you think these ones with no nuchal scute have been inter-bred, perhaps in the wild? Now I need to go look up Kinixys erosa. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.