NEW HIDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murple

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I would appreciate your opinion. Up until very recently my tortoise lived under his log. But now doesn't seem to use it at all. It was always a snug fit which I think he liked. I'm wondering if he just doesn't want to use it or if he has outgrown it (doesn't seem like it, but still a snug fit).

He has a sectioned of hide and the log but the log is nearer the heat so think thats why he used it. He hardly ever goes into the other hide. He seems happy and sleeps under the heat and light lamp.

Should I get a bigger log? Thought they liked being snug and not sure if the next size up will be too big?

Any advice appreciated.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Sounds like he outgrow the old shelter. If it were me, I would get a bigger one. The tortoise might scuff its carapace up trying to fit into a half-log that is too small, which wouldn't necessarily be harmful, unless it goes on for too long, and then it can abrade the keratin. Also, it would reduce the shell's cosmetic appearance to have it scratched up like that.

Tortoises do like to feel snug, but that has more to do with feeling like they are covered up and safe, and not the hardness of their shelter. In the wild, Russian, gopher, and sulcata tortoises dig burrows deep into soil or sand, and other species of tortoise or box turtle like to cover themselves up with a thin layer of topsoil or leaf litter. That can be accomplished with a deep, fairly loose substrate and/or a larger structure the animal can hide under. But if you're using a hard structure, it should be big enough for the tortoise to move in and out of easily.

murple

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply. I think I will get a bigger one and see how he gets on. He has loose substrate so can burrow if he wants to.

Until very recently he move the log to where he wanted it and would settle down. I'm just unsure whether its choice or he can't use it (although I've placed it over him and he looks the same as before). But If I get a bigger one i'll know for sure.

Thanks

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Both of my Russians are about 4 inches long. My female uses her half-log hide a lot, but my male hardly ever. He climbs on top of it more than he hides under it. :)

I keep their half-logs on the cool end of the pen for safety's sake, but both of them often fall asleep on the warm end, not far from the hot spot. They may dig down a bit - the female usually a little deeper - but sleep relatively exposed. When on the cool end, the female likes to go under the log, but the male still sleeps out in the open.

murple

5 Year Member
I am very cautious of heat and safety and have the light positioned at a safe height. When he was using it he would get under and lift it and walk it to where he wanted it (a walking log!). He has become very freindly and feels a lot safer in our company, so perhaps he just wants to sleep out now and doesn't feel the need for the extra security from the log?

I'll get a bigger one and if he doesn't use that one either, he can have to climb on in the garden. I just don't want to get one that takes up too much room leaving less room to explore.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
my male sleeps spread eagle out where ever he gets tired most of the time ... my females love the cover they use the hides or dig way down ... its not to often they just sleep like slowpoke where ever when ever

Status
Not open for further replies.