New Hermann's Tortoise

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
My old Jordanian Greek passed away a few years ago and after a lot of begging, my wife finally said I can get a new tortoise, so I found this lovely guy available in the local classified ads from a family that is moving and can't take pets with them. I'm pretty sure he's a not quite mature Eastern Hermann's tortoise. I was told that he's about 4 years old, but I think he seems to be a little bit large for that, so I'd guess maybe a bit older. He weighs 556 grams (1 pound, 3.6 ounces) and his shell measures 14cm (5.5 inches) straight from front to back.

My Greek tortoise was named Gracie, based partially on her taxonomic name Testudo Graeca. Based on that, my daughters said that this guy should be named Hermes (Testudo Hermanni). He's in charge of the slow/low priority message service for the gods, and leaves the fast stuff to the other guy with the same name. ;)

It looks like he has been very well cared for. His shell is pretty much perfect, his colors are great, and he is very active. The previous owners were missing a few things, like a hygrometer and proper basking light for the indoor enclosure, but they did let him wander outside (properly supervised) on a regular basis so that's probably not as critical as it would be for a 100% indoor tortoise.

As soon as weather permits, I'll be setting up a large outdoor enclosure stocked with lots of yummy plants growing in the ground so he can browse and chew on whatever he happens to want, as well as getting plenty of natural sunlight. Since Hermann's Tortoises are quite small, I do want to make sure he's safe from possible predators. What would you recommend that I use to put a "lid" on the outdoor enclosure? I'm thinking something like chain-link fence or chicken wire stretched over the top on hinged frames so the top can be lifted in sections for maintenance on the plants and landscaping in the enclosure.

He had a nice soak and bath just before these picture so he would be nice and pretty for his photo shoot. :)

PXL_20230402_013014829.jpg

PXL_20230402_013114760.jpg

PXL_20230402_012944164.jpg

PXL_20230402_013001903.jpg

PXL_20230402_012915049.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
He’s beautiful and it does appear he was well taken care of. His shell is nice and smooth and beak and nails are perfectly trim. Great find! It’s hard to judge age based on size and weight. For reference, I have a male Eastern Hermann’s tortoise who will be 4 years old in May. He weighs 2 pounds and 2 ounces and is about 7 inches long.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congratulations on your new tortoise. Welcome to the forum

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
after a lot of begging, my wife finally said I can get a new tortoise,
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept......begging for a TURTLE brother? You need to up your game because you are ruining it for us! I'm sure you are stone in love with your sweetheart so I'm not questioning your commitment but you simply need to ask for bigger things....Range Rover, 38ft cabin cruiser, or the Flying jet platform Zapata is selling for 250K or maybe just a plain old racing Hydroplane that you happened to find on Craigslist ready to race, new engine, in Virginia, fully enclosed cockpit.....for only 13K.....and she said NO, with that "look".....okay for now but she knows I'll keep pressing.

It will make asking for a turtle, a walk in the park!

Congrats on getting a new buddy, he looks fantastic, a real Beast!

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept......begging for a TURTLE brother? You need to up your game because you are ruining it for us! I'm sure you are stone in love with your sweetheart so I'm not questioning your commitment but you simply need to ask for bigger things....Range Rover, 38ft cabin cruiser, or the Flying jet platform Zapata is selling for 250K or maybe just a plain old racing Hydroplane that you happened to find on Craigslist ready to race, new engine, in Virginia, fully enclosed cockpit.....for only 13K.....and she said NO, with that "look".....okay for now but she knows I'll keep pressing.

Congrats on getting a new buddy, he looks fantastic, a real Beui

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
The begging line was just a joke for my wife who was standing next to me while I was typing that message. I forgot that I left it in when I posted the message. :)

In reality, we just weren't in a good housing situation to have a tortoise for a while, but we recently moved and have plenty of room for outdoor and indoor enclosures now.

LJL1982

UK

Congrats on getting a new buddy, he looks fantastic, a real Beast!
I'm still begging my husband for an engagement ring but where new tortoises are concerned the best he can expect is a formal introduction on the way in from work 😆😆

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My old Jordanian Greek passed away a few years ago and after a lot of begging, my wife finally said I can get a new tortoise, so I found this lovely guy available in the local classified ads from a family that is moving and can't take pets with them. I'm pretty sure he's a not quite mature Eastern Hermann's tortoise. I was told that he's about 4 years old, but I think he seems to be a little bit large for that, so I'd guess maybe a bit older. He weighs 556 grams (1 pound, 3.6 ounces) and his shell measures 14cm (5.5 inches) straight from front to back.

My Greek tortoise was named Gracie, based partially on her taxonomic name Testudo Graeca. Based on that, my daughters said that this guy should be named Hermes (Testudo Hermanni). He's in charge of the slow/low priority message service for the gods, and leaves the fast stuff to the other guy with the same name. ;)

It looks like he has been very well cared for. His shell is pretty much perfect, his colors are great, and he is very active. The previous owners were missing a few things, like a hygrometer and proper basking light for the indoor enclosure, but they did let him wander outside (properly supervised) on a regular basis so that's probably not as critical as it would be for a 100% indoor tortoise.

As soon as weather permits, I'll be setting up a large outdoor enclosure stocked with lots of yummy plants growing in the ground so he can browse and chew on whatever he happens to want, as well as getting plenty of natural sunlight. Since Hermann's Tortoises are quite small, I do want to make sure he's safe from possible predators. What would you recommend that I use to put a "lid" on the outdoor enclosure? I'm thinking something like chain-link fence or chicken wire stretched over the top on hinged frames so the top can be lifted in sections for maintenance on the plants and landscaping in the enclosure.

He had a nice soak and bath just before these picture so he would be nice and pretty for his photo shoot. :)
He looks great. Size seems on the small size for his age, but not a surprise if they weren't housing him correctly.

Here is some info I put together that may be of interest: