New Hermanns Tortoise

Donna Shaw

Location (City and/or State)
Keighley
Hi, I wondered if anyone can help. I got a tortoise on sunday afternoon. I've never had one before but have done lots of research beforehand. I purposefully picked a very active one, who was quite naughty and clambering over all the others at the store! He was quite active sunday but since then seems quite subdued, isnt eating and keeps taking himself off to his bed! I've tried a variety of foods to encourage him to eat, sprout leaves, cabbage, dandelion leaves, apples, grapes and also tried the tortoise pellets that you soak in water but he doesnt seem to be eating at all. The UV lamp is at 32degrees Celsius, it's working fine, its 150 watt bulb and is on that temp from 7am to 7pm when I drop it to 20degrees celcius, the strip light is a brand new one and again is on 7am to 7pm. He is in a table with fresh water to bathe and drink, tortoise soil down at different levels with a few sticks, pebbles and bridges to keep him entertained. I'm worried about him but dont know if its just taking time to settle in his new environment, any ideas??

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
What do you mean by his bed? If it is his hide, it should be normal as it is their instinct to hide. If he is just laying out in the open, there could be something wrong and you should get him checked up by an experienced tortoise specialized vet. You can soak him in baby carrot food for temporary nutrients if he continues not to eat. Your temps are not ideal and should be warmer, this may explain ur torts dullness and loss of appetite as heat helps them metabolize food and also keeps them moving and active. Be careful of pebbles and bridges as the pebbles can cause impaction and he could also fall of a bridge and flip, though these are not major concerns. What is your main substrate? I think that he should be fine if you up your temps. If this behavior persists, you should seek specialized vet help as it could be more major problems.

Donna Shaw

Keighley
What do you mean by his bed? If it is his hide, it should be normal as it is their instinct to hide. If he is just laying out in the open, there could be something wrong and you should get him checked up by an experienced tortoise specialized vet. You can soak him in baby carrot food for temporary nutrients if he continues not to eat. Your temps are not ideal and should be warmer, this may explain ur torts dullness and loss of appetite as heat helps them metabolize food and also keeps them moving and active. Be careful of pebbles and bridges as the pebbles can cause impaction and he could also fall of a bridge and flip, though these are not major concerns. What is your main substrate? I think that he should be fine if you up your temps. If this behavior persists, you should seek specialized vet help as it could be more major problems.
Thanks Jack, what temps do you suggest? Yes I mean in his hide, I will remove the pebbles and bridges just incase he does get stuck. I just have tortoise soil in there at the moment but have noticed this gets stick to him quite a bit, particularly when he has been for a soak so have ordered some beech chips and hemp bedding to mix it up a bit. I dont want to make too many changes whilst hes settling in. Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That light might be too big for a young tortoise. I've never found a need for anything larger than 100 watts. How close to the top of the tortoise is the light?

Donna Shaw

Keighley
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've upped the temp to 32 degrees and changed the basking bulb and it seems to have done the trick. Still not eating but activity has definitely improved ?I've attached photos to see what else you can recommend, the 1st photo is the old bulb, the 2nd is the new bulb, 3rd is to give you an idea how high the basking lamp is from his enclosure and the 4th to show the set up. I think I need a different substrate as I have noticed when hes been for a dip that the soil gets in his eyes and he keeps rubbing at them so going to try some beech wood chips and hemp substrate. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. The old basking lamp only gave heat and not light where as the new one lights up his tank as well as gives heat. I take it I still need the strip light on for 12 hours a day in addition to the heat lamp? Thanks in advance 20200219_204811.jpg20200219_204823.jpg20200219_204848.jpg20200219_204902.jpg

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
That’s great! Do you have a UVB lamp or is the lamp in your photos just an additional lamp? You need a uvb one if you don’t have one. Have you tried soaking him in baby carrot food? I think changing the substrate is a good idea. You can put coconut coir under the beech chips to retain moisture and provide something to burrow. Overall, everything seems fine. Hope he eat soon! Best regards.

-Javk

Donna Shaw

Keighley
That’s great! Do you have a UVB lamp or is the lamp in your photos just an additional lamp? You need a uvb one if you don’t have one. Have you tried soaking him in baby carrot food? I think changing the substrate is a good idea. You can put coconut coir under the beech chips to retain moisture and provide something to burrow. Overall, everything seems fine. Hope he eat soon! Best regards.

-Javk

The strip light at the back is UVB and the basking one is now UVA. Would the old ceramic basking lamp not have been UVA, it was as soon as we changed the basking lamp that we noticed a difference. I did catch him eating a little last night so we are going in the right direction! I'll get some carrott food and coconut coir and try those tonight. Thanks Jack for all your help it really is appreciated!

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Change disrupts behaviour. Coming to a new home can be stressful. Does the tort feel heavy?

A bit of time can cure A lot of issues. If your tort is heavy for it's size (a sign of good health) a week or two of sparse eating is not of great concern. If your tort is light get it to a vet if it's not eating after its first week with you.

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
The strip light at the back is UVB and the basking one is now UVA. Would the old ceramic basking lamp not have been UVA, it was as soon as we changed the basking lamp that we noticed a difference. I did catch him eating a little last night so we are going in the right direction! I'll get some carrott food and coconut coir and try those tonight. Thanks Jack for all your help it really is appreciated!
That is great! Glad I could help

Donna Shaw

Keighley
Change disrupts behaviour. Coming to a new home can be stressful. Does the tort feel heavy?

A bit of time can cure A lot of issues. If your tort is heavy for it's size (a sign of good health) a week or two of sparse eating is not of great concern. If your tort is light get it to a vet if it's not eating after its first week with you.
Thanks for your help and advice ?

Donna Shaw

Keighley
That is great! Glad I could help
I now have added coconut coir and beech chips. I actually thought I had lost her tonight as she went in her hide and burrowed right down into the coir! Her enclosure looks much more interesting now, I've added a few fake plants for her to hide and explore. She is now eating happily, will eat from my fingers and has eaten the pureed carrot from spoon, I didnt even need to bathe her in it, she loves it!! She is a much happier and hungry tortoise thanks to everyones help, especially Jack's. Thank you from me and Stella the tortoise! ??

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
That is great! Glad you have a happy healthy tortoise. Please post some pics of your new and improved enclosure because we all love PICS!!!

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
I now have added coconut coir and beech chips. I actually thought I had lost her tonight as she went in her hide and burrowed right down into the coir! Her enclosure looks much more interesting now, I've added a few fake plants for her to hide and explore. She is now eating happily, will eat from my fingers and has eaten the pureed carrot from spoon, I didnt even need to bathe her in it, she loves it!! She is a much happier and hungry tortoise thanks to everyones help, especially Jack's. Thank you from me and Stella the tortoise! ??
Just curious, by "lost" do you mean died or missing? LOL