New Here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyla

5 Year Member
Well, Im a general animal enthusiast from Connecticut. Im a professional dog trainer, I've worked at and volunteered at a couple different animal shelters, I interned at the Beardsley Zoo for a year as an educator and I've saved many a animal in need.

Currently my life revolves around my mix mutt dog (Jabberwocky), a four foot iguana (Maglor the Doominator), two crested geckos (JuJu and Mojo Mack Daddy), two grey tree frogs (Rusty and Hyla), two paddletail newts (Thing 1 and Thing 2) as well as a number of fish.

Im here to learn more about tortoises and hopefully find the right one for me :)

When I was working at the zoo one of my duties was to help clean the "animal rooms" which were two separate rooms across the hall from eachother where we kept the animals we used for our education programs. One had all reptiles and the other had everything else - ferrets, hedgehogs, a small owl, a bat, scorpions, just to name a few. Well while we cleaned I would let one of the tortoises wander about. I believe sammy was an adult Russian but I honestly cant remember. Anyway, he would follow me back and forth between the rooms while I cleaned and I would bend down to scratch him on his head now and then. If I stopped walking he would crawl up on my feet and stop and wait for my attention. I found him very endearing and easy to care for and ever since then I wanted one of my own. So heres to further education!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome! Russians are great! Hardy and easy to care for, and they don't get to big.

Skyla

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
Welcome! Russians are great! Hardy and easy to care for, and they don't get to big.

I was thinking of something that gets a bit bigger and learning about whats out there. Ultimately I want a fun tortosoise with an outgoing personality. Sammy was just my wonderful introduction to their subtle quirky ways.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Skyla: (Is that a username or your name?)

Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you have had a pretty interesting life. If you have the space, a sulcata would be a nice pet. But they get big and are pretty destructive.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO :)What part of Connecticut you from? What about a redfoot? :tort:

Skyla

5 Year Member
Skyla is kind of a nickname my boyfriend gave me and it stuck :)

Id rather not have a tortoise thats TOO destructive :) Maybe someday when I've found my own permanant home Ill get a larger one but I already have my heart set on the Burmese Black Mountain. I love those guys.

I live in the southeast region of CT.

I've actually started looking into the Redfoot and the Cherryhead. Theyre very cute and call me picky but regardless of color, I actually like "rounder" tortoises :) I know once I make my decision it wont matter and Ill love anything I get regardless if it even has all its legs let alone the shape of its shell.

I posted a thread in hopes to get a bit more input on species over here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Opinions-Wanted-help-me-find-the-perfect-tortoise#axzz1FrPLe5VM

And maybe learn of some new ones I havent found yet. Ive written what few things Im looking for specifically in a tortoise as well.

lobovasco

5 Year Member
central Florida
Hey there!! and welcome im new too! i just got 2 sulcatas and love them! they have great personalities. get one that will be happy with the space that you have for it.

happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.