New here. Please help my little baby.

thomas0604

5 Year Member
Two little guys have come a week. The one in white is going Ok. It is shy but eating well. However, the other one always sleeps. The eyes are very hard to open when I wake it up. He didn't eat anything. I don't what I should do. Please help me everyone. Please! ImageUploadedByTortForum1384852524.181550.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384852541.135828.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384852569.727476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
If you have only had him a week he could still be settling, tortoises don't like change and can take weeks to settle into a new environment

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Agree with Merlin. Keep your temperatures a tad warmer and do soaks, warm water soaks. Soaks are like spa time, warm and cozy and seem to help calm down. They do take some time acclimate to a new environment, some of them. Do not hover too much. Baby does not know you. May think you are looking at him as prey and want to eat him. If the little one does not eat after soaking, you may want to add baby food to the soaks, carrots or squash, just to get something in him. Sometimes the warm water gets them going. Be sure to supervise the whole time and under the basking light is always good cause it keeps the water warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need more info. Much more.

What are your four temps?
What size enclosure?
Are you using a coil type or cfl UV bulb?
How often are you soaking?
What is the source of these tortoise and how were they raised before you got them?

BTW, that water bowl is totally unsuitable for tortoises. They are a literal death trap. Great for lizards and snakes. Not suitable for tortoises.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I use the same bowl for two of mine
Think its great, its really easy for them to get in and out! Never had a problem!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Merlin M said:
Think its great, its really easy for them to get in and out! Never had a problem!

Lovely. Tell that to the member who found their tortoise upside down and drowned in it a few months ago...

Seriously. I'm glad that you have not had a problem yet, but the sides are much too tall and steep. A tortoise should not have to climb at odd angles to get in and out of its water source. Many tortoise somehow perceive the danger and simply avoid those bowls, even though they badly need a drink. Any bowl with tall sides and a ramp is not a good tortoise bowl.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Merlin M said:

Same here - but I use mine for a large Russian. My leopard won't get one until he's at least as big as my Russian. Heck, my I've caught my lil leopard upside down in a tiny orange ceramic plant pot bottom! He's a klutz! It's a good thing it's not deep enough for him to drown.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Merlin M said:

There is no way those tiny babies can get in that water dish and if they did, they would almost certainly slip and tip over trying to get out from the side. Older torts, maybe, but not these, especially with it not buried at substrate level. A good way to know if they are going in there is if there is substrate in the water or not. While some may not have experienced issues with these things, why take the chance. If your baby flips in it and you are not right there to save him, he will die.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
thomas0604 said:
Two little guys have come a week. The one in white is going Ok. It is shy but eating well. However, the other one always sleeps. The eyes are very hard to open when I wake it up. He didn't eat anything. I don't what I should do. Please help me everyone. Please!

Besides the questions asked that still need answers, be sure to soak them every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. If you are using the coil cfl bulbs, get rid of it. The humidity should be no lower then 80% with temps no lower then 80 with a basking of 95+. Also, please read Toms threads below in my and Toms post for proper care for raising a smooth healthy leopard. Your leopards already have some pyramiding, so the sooner you get them in a humid environment the better.