New Habitat

Cozl86

I'm in the process and planning stages of making a new place for Mikey. His 20 gallon tank is too small. I am planning to do an indoor and an outdoor. Indoor I was planning to go 2 ft x 4ft three side ply wood and front side glass. Outdoor I was going to do 4ft x 6ft and make it out of cinder block. Thoughts?

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
The indoor one sounds good I have one just like that. As for the outdoor one I would just make sure that you have it secured to keep out predators and make sure he can't dig out. Other than making sure he has basic needs and the right temperatures and stuff like that that's all I can think of.

Cozl86

I live in south west Louisiana, so the temp should be fine in the spring and summer for some outside basking. I really just want to make sure he has enough room to explore.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Go bigger, for indoor think in terms of 3' x 8' or larger. Look on the forum for two story enclosures for idea of how to provide roaming space with a small footprint.

For outdoor, maybe a 4' x 6' block enclosure with a door that leads to a enclosed grazing area. All covered with hardwire cloth to protect from predators. Remember Russians can dig under a normal wall; so poor a concrete footer or something to keep the enclosure escape proof and predator proof. I built a block enclosure and dug out the foundation poured concrete for footers and put the dirt in the middle to raise the ground level inside the enclosure. Lots of work...hint use power equipment for trenching the footers.

Good luck.