NEW GULF COAST BOX TURTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
About two weeks ago, we found a newborn box turtle. He was on a cement sidewalk and he seemed lost. He is the size of a quarter, and he's just so adorable. I just couldn't leave him, so we took him home. We began to seek the types of turtles in our area, and found a pic of one that looked just like the one we found. I read some things about their care, but I couldn't find if these little guys hibernate because all he wants to do is burrow deep down. He is a Gulf Coast Box turtle, and I just leave some food on a flat stone with some water. I guess he eats very early before I get up. Then, he's burrowed deep when I'm looking for him. Any advise on what I can do at this point would be greatly appreciated. This is a first boxie for me.

Attachments

• ba25cd56-a15a-4df3-9c3c-f766156e2a3e.jpg
    ba25cd56-a15a-4df3-9c3c-f766156e2a3e.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 106

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
OH man it is awesome looking!

You better check and see if it is even legal to remove a native animal from the wild in your state.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I did, and we are allowed to have only two GC box turtles. There's no restriction on this little guys except for what I mentioned, and of course, selling them out of state.

CGKeith said:
OH man it is awesome looking!

You better check and see if it is even legal to remove a native animal from the wild in your state.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Here in Alabama the box turtles do hibernate, but we had a case where one did not hibernate and all that happened to him is that he got to be twice the size of his brother. About 40% should be mixed greens and fruit, the rest should be crickets, worms, small fish, little protein containing organisms. They like outdoor housing(aquariums are usually too small) with lose soil to dig into and hibernate in winter and shallow pools of water to be in. I can offer more if needed.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I bought small crickets and worms for him but he never touched them. The crickets were eating his food and they became huge. So, I got rid of them and the worms because he wouldn't touch it. I'd leave him some fruit and green mix, but that too he won't touch--at least not while I'm looking. I never see him get out to eat...I have to look for him and wake him up and literally put him in his food. Even then, he won't eat. Will he survive like this?

CourtneyG said:
Here in Alabama the box turtles do hibernate, but we had a case where one did not hibernate and all that happened to him is that he got to be twice the size of his brother. About 40% should be mixed greens and fruit, the rest should be crickets, worms, small fish, little protein containing organisms. They like outdoor housing(aquariums are usually too small) with lose soil to dig into and hibernate in winter and shallow pools of water to be in. I can offer more if needed.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
What a great looking boxie! He's likely just stressed out being in a new environment, he should come around in the next couple of days.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
If you are waking him up, don't, let him sleep. I am sure he is trying to hibernate.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks for the advice. I just put fresh water and some mealworms in case he does get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.